Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone any experience of nationwide & mortgage holidays?

(6 Posts)
Oodthunkit Wed 21-Nov-12 07:58:13

Do they ask for any finance info?

We over paid quite a bit 2-3 years ago but are now on much lower income. Not having any trouble with payments but I'm on maternity leave next year and a few months off ( thinking3 ) would really help financially.
Don't want to risk it if they are likely to query our finances though.

MrsKitty Wed 21-Nov-12 08:17:34

We have a nationwide mortgage. A couple of years ago DH was made redundant (no pay out as not there long enough) whilst I was on maternity leave! We'd overpaid about £8k in the preceeding years which they let us draw down into our current account to tide us over until DH got another job and I went back to work. They didn't need specifics, just a background to what had happened.

Oodthunkit Wed 21-Nov-12 08:20:56

Thanks. They are usually good about things. Our reduction in income is pretty permanent though so buy worried about that

Talk to them about extending the term, to make your monthly amount lower. They should be fine with that, as long as you don't push the term beyond retirement age.

Oodthunkit Wed 21-Nov-12 18:51:43

It's already well beyond dh retirement age!

It's only £354 a month so fine except when my pay is cut!

we had a payment holiday when dh started his own business. was very easy to do they didn't ask any questions as far as i can remember. the only thing is you have to have made all repayments prior to this without default but as you have overpaid i dont the think you'd have overpaid problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now