Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where to start remortgaging?

(7 Posts)
mamamiaow Wed 21-Nov-12 10:53:10

I've used a financial adviser in the past, but they don't cover all suppliers, so places like the Co-op Bank and First Direct don't use FAs they only sell direct.

So I'd use an adviser and see what they come up with, but I'd also check the comparison tables eg. in the Guardian Money and then go direct to sites like co-op, HSBC or First Direct and see what they can offer.

Have had a mortgage with First Direct for years and they always seem very competitive. If you spot a good deal they allow you to secure it for a set period (6 months I think) until your existing mortgage runs out.

skysky69 Wed 21-Nov-12 10:29:22

I use the Moneysaving Expert site a lot and they recommended a whole of market broker who are impartial and don't charge you fees. They are called London & Country and the adviser that I used was called Dan Light - he was brilliant, really informative and managed to get us a fixed rate deal which was great for our circumstances. Everything was just really easy and straight forward.

givenup37 Wed 21-Nov-12 09:23:36

Try Which? They're independent and apply the same principles to financial products as to other products

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 21-Nov-12 02:31:46

Cool, Thankyou, think I'll get in touch with our broker

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 20-Nov-12 10:04:11

I'd suggest talking to an independent mortgage or financial adviser both for information on whether to go variable rate or fixed rate, and to help you sift through the products on the market to decide what is best for your circumstances. I think, with base rates and SVRs being very low and with no signs of changing soon, there is no rush to make a decision.

CrapBag Mon 19-Nov-12 21:43:21

Have a look on the comparison sites like Go Compare etc. I'm not sure if they all have mortgages but I was looking the other day although we have a year to go yet.

You put in your detail and it brings up columns of info that is easy to follow. I did find that Britannia were one of the best at the moment. Bu then I was looking at fixed rates rather than trackers.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 19-Nov-12 17:33:26

Current mortgage agreement ends next March and seeing as we're spending December getting our SA etc in order seems like a good idea to start thinking now

Where do you start when working out whether to immediately remortgage or stay on a tracker rate? And where wold you start to look first for best remortgage rates? Have been on moneysavingexpert but there's so much info it's overwhelming....initially got our mortgage through a broker so we could contact him again, but choice was limited anyway as first time buyers, lower wage etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now