Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

£100 per week for weekly shop

(83 Posts)
PopMusicShoobyDoobyDoA Sun 18-Nov-12 21:25:26

There are 3 of us in the family (DP, me and DS, 4). At the moment, we are spending hundred quid on weekly shop inc food, basic beauty stuff and household cleaners. It used to be around £75 but it's jumped up recently. We go to tesco and buy a range of value and branded products. Most nights, I cook from scratch, apart from Thursday when I get ready meals in for convenience as I stay behind at work.

I've always thought our shopping bill was a bit excessive but I seriously can't think of anything that we can do without (maybe apart from the ready meals but they are a life saver). We literally buy the bare minimum.

How do you keep your weekly shopping bills down?

forevergreek Mon 19-Nov-12 08:52:24

I think Waitrose IS cheaper but it depends what you buy. We buy mainly organic, fruit/ veg/ meat/ fish, and essentials to make meals with that. Our shop is £60/70 a week from Waitrose/ ocado.

We don't buy any processed food/ snacks/ etc which I reckon is where a good chunk of people's weekly shop goes.

We buy big pots of organic Greek yogurt, and decant. No little pots.

Zoomania Mon 19-Nov-12 08:52:29

I also find waitrose cheaper than tesco...go at the end of the day and buy their discounted food and freeze it! I then pick up fruit and veg from market stall.

cjbk1 Mon 19-Nov-12 08:58:42

So; about this Aldi business; do they also stock brands or just their own? is it 'normal' stuff or very limited like Lidl? is a large part of the shop taken up with rubbish seasonal non-food? has anyone tried the Hatfield one? thanks in advance

i shop in Tesco and have noticed a big increase recently (from £60 PW to £90 pw) and we havent changed what we buy.

We tried Aldi at the weekend and bought everything we would usually get and more and spent £42 shock i started laughing when the woman told us the total as DH was saying it was what i was buying was causing the price increase! bollocks to that i say so we are now shopping at Aldi for the forseeable future grin

forevergreek you sound like me. I also don't buy any processed food or snacks. And I decant big pots of yoghurts too.

Myliferocks Mon 19-Nov-12 12:13:06

We don't have an Aldi where I live and I can't get everything I need at the local Lidls.
I end up doing the shopping in two halves at two different supermarkets and spend more if I use Lidls. Iyswim.

forevergreek Mon 19-Nov-12 13:04:38

And Waitrose does free home delivery smile

Badvocsanta Mon 19-Nov-12 13:09:04

Ocado is cheaper than tesco!
I like aldi but simo their meat is a bit iffy...last pack of ham I picked up was grey (bluergh)
I tend to do an ocado order once a week £50-60 ish and then top up at the co op.
It does come to £100 per month but their are 4 of us and we eat some form of meat/fish/poultry every day.

BillyBollyBandy Mon 19-Nov-12 19:57:46

Aldi do their own brand and also some "proper" brands, so Hovis bread, cheerios, as well as a specially selected range which is nice - 2 frozen lamb shanks for £4 with sauce and that is probably the most expensive thing in there!

I spent £35 today and bought lots of fruit and veg, 2 chicken portions (organic and £3.50 so better be good!), turkey mince, 18 yoghurts, bacon, creme fraiche, passata, bread, cake, eggs, potatoes, a toy car and a kids book for xmas.

OP - can you post a whole shopping list? Difficult to see where your money is going from what you have said on the thread!

PopMusicShoobyDoobyDoA Mon 19-Nov-12 20:59:29

I'll try apple. I will write what we bought on our last shop.

Cereals (special k, shreddies, cheerios, Jordan's jumbo porridge)
Warburtons wholemeal bread
Lurpak spreadable butter
Value butter (lasts 3 weeks)
5 bottles of 4 litres milk
Organic chicken breasts (2 breasts)
Green and black chocolate (lasts 2.5 weeks)
Baked beans x 3 small tins - Heinz
Eggs - free range
Bananas (5), strawberries (2 punnets) blueberries (2 punnets), raspberries (2 punnets)
Spinach, red pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms, lambs lettuce
Fish fingers, chips, peas
Ginger biscuits x 3 packs
5 pack walkers crisps
Kitkat - pack of 6 mint flavour
Olive oil (lasts ages)
Ski yogurt (4 pack x2)
Tesco Greek style yogurt (big pot)
Ready meals (chicken curry and red Thai curry)
Rice (lasts ages)
Thai red paste, chipotle paste, curry paste
Tinned chickpeas, canillini beans, red kidney beans
Toilet paper
Dove deo
Marmalade
Covent garden soup

That's it I think. The healthy stuff is my food, the crappy stuff is mostly DP's and DS just eats fish fingers and chips, only eats strawberries and raspberries and cereals with the occasional biscuit thrown in.

AlbertaCampion Mon 19-Nov-12 21:05:36

Ah, this is easy! A lot of the items on that list are branded goods. The branded cereals, for example, which are often heavily marked up against the own brand equivalents - and don't taste any different. Try going down a brand when you shop next, and you'll save £££. smile

ATourchOfInsanity Mon 19-Nov-12 21:11:19

Milk in Aldi is 4lts for £1 smile

ledkr Mon 19-Nov-12 21:12:46

I spent 100 on Aldi last week trying to save money. I always see these threads where people say they feed 8 for a fiver and I think it depends on what you buy. We have nice meals all from scratch with lots of veg I buy wine and some chocolate decent meat and we all 4 take packed lunches and fruit to work. If I just bought a few boxes of cereal some bread and butter and 7 evening meals then it would be cheaper.

forevergreek Mon 19-Nov-12 21:15:06

Swap the cereal for supermarket brands
Don't buy biscuits/ choc/ crisps
Swap blueberries/ strawberries/ raspberries for more local seasonal fruit, or just two instead of 6 plummets and then cheaper fruit

RedZombie Mon 19-Nov-12 21:21:46

Try menu planning a week at a time. I tried to do a whole month, but couldn't stick to it when plans changed.
I buy 80% of my stuff from Aldi and top up in Asda, with the things they dont sell this comes in around £80 per week. the last time I went to Tesco it was £120
My other tip is to not do top up shopping in between your main shop except for absolute essentials like milk and bread. For instance we ran out of cordial tonight do we'll be drinking plain water till I go shopping again on Friday. I probably save myself £20/30 just doing this.

PopMusicShoobyDoobyDoA Mon 19-Nov-12 21:30:48

forevergreek I wish I could swap the expensive fruit for the cheaper seasonal fruit but they are the only fruit DS will eatsad. It costs us a fortune, especially in the winter.

Cereals, yes definitely could swap them for supermarket brands except shreddies, DP says he can taste the difference and he doesn't like the difference (we have tried downshifting like Martin Lewis tells us to on mse). Crisps, biscuits are again DP's and again he likes these particular ones. I don't touch the stuff but to be honest tesco ginger nuts don't cost all that much.

marquesas Mon 19-Nov-12 21:44:03

It's obvious from your list why your bill is so high.

No one who is watching their budget should be buying all those brands - Covent Garden soup for example is madly £££ and fresh blueberries in November shock.

Genuine question - do you really not see how your spending so much?

You really don't need to go to Aldi just yet, cut out the brands and you'll see a difference straight away. Also for example buying one pack of crisps isn't the cheapest way - Walkers crisps are always on a multibuy in Tesco and have long sell by dates

colditz Mon 19-Nov-12 21:51:59

You're buying too much crap. Stop buying biscuits, oven chips, and a variety of cereal. Stop buying covent garden soup. Stop buying blueberries, raspberries and strawberries unless they are in season. Serve meals to your son and husband that are the same meals you cook for yourself. If they leave it because of fussiness, tough titty, they'll soon get hungry without biscuits and oven chips to fill up on. Say no to branded bread, beans and butter, the mark up is huge.

I feed myself, two big eating children and a lot of guests for half what you are spending, and we eat much better than your husband and your son.

Durab Mon 19-Nov-12 22:13:06

I think you mostly know by this point on the thread what you need to change if you really want to save money, I'd just add, no small tins of beans, the large ones are a tiny amount more and will keep in the fridge for a good few days.

All that soft fruit is madness, but I do understand why you do it. Does DS eat veg? If so, fruit not actually all that necessary. Would he eat frozen raspberries? Still extravagant, but just as nutritious, if not more so and much cheaper than fresh in November!

Also do you actually use everything? It's amazing how much the "average" family throws away, so it's worth checking you are only buying what you will use - obvious but there are an awful lot of people who don't. Six punnets of fruit a week for a 4yo is surely a huge amount?

PopMusicShoobyDoobyDoA Mon 19-Nov-12 23:45:44

No, DS does not eat veg , he only literally eats about fifteen things (it's an improvement on this time last year when he only ate about 5 things). He does eat all the strawberries and raspberries actually and if he doesn't we do.

Convent garden soup was an exception to the rule. Normally don't buy this.

Do I genuinely not know why I am spending so much? I know that the fruits are expensive. And the branded cereals. All branded stuff, but we've given own brands a genuine go and it doesn't taste the same (Heinz beans, shreddies, warburtons esp).

We hardly throw any food away. It goes back in the fridge to eat the next day or straight in the freezer. This is something we are very good at, actually, as we made a genuine effort to buy only what we eat from a couple of years ago.

Crisps, biscuits and Kitkat are rubbish. It's dh's choice to eat them. DS is only given biscuits very occasionally.

However, i hope i am not coming over as defensive - just want to let you know what's going on as I do value all your input and suggestions.

I will let you know how my next shop on Sunday goes. smile

Lidl had big bags of frozen strawberries last time I was there, didn't buy them mind but they might be worth a try. Sympathies with the fussy DS, DS was awful a year ago and he grew out of it, thank feck. Lidl cereal is quite nice, cornflakes, weetabix and porridge all good, muesli is lovely. Biscuits etc, nice and super cheap, good selection of yoghurts that are nice too. Maybe a once a month shop in Lidl for dried stuff etc and 2/3 other shops in Tesco?

colditz Tue 20-Nov-12 00:14:39

No it doesn't taste the same, but you have to cut your coat according to your cloth, and if you can't afford to spend one hundred pounds a week on food, you are going to HAVE to get used to different tasting food. And so is your husband.

You seem to have a little bit if an issue with the idea of not having things you want, but they are only wants, branded cereal isn't a need, blueberries for your son isn't a need. They are wants and they can go. It's ok to say "No. You can't have that. It costs too much."

colditz Tue 20-Nov-12 00:16:16

My ds1 would eat three punnets of cherries a week if I let him. I don't let him. They are a rare treat, as in once every three months.

ouryve Tue 20-Nov-12 00:20:50

If you like cooking from scratch, or if you go for fair trade products and/or higher welfare meat Tesco is very expensive, IMO. I find Sainsburys cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now