Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

is this credit card worth it?

(11 Posts)

Transfer is good if the give you enough credit limit to do the whole transfer, I tried one a couple of years ago but they gave me the smallest credit limit so I then ended up with two cards. Still saved me some interest.

I'd definitely recommend cutting up the credit card so you're just paying it off and not adding to the balance.
I have two CCs one that is 0% and not used, just paying the balance off. And one that is used for emergency and then paid off straight away.

plan to go for credit card, transfer, and ? stick it in freezer so not to be tempted.

thanks fatima. thats really helpful. sounds pormising, as long as i pay that 85 per month.

your not you're

Just done some quick calculations based on you saying your balance transfer fee (at 3.1%) would be around £50.
So say you're balance is £1650.
On the 0% one, if you paid £85 per month, you'd pay it off in 19.5months and you pay £0 interest.
If you had £1650 on a credit card at 16.9% and paid £85 a month, it would take 23 months to pay the whole balance off and it would cost £260 in interest.

trouble is the one where i am not clear, i only got because i trsanferred from another card. i am crap at this business. i shouldnt use the card. i dont use it in shops as i cant remember pin but i do use it on internet.

oh i didnt realise it was low. actually, perhaps i am confused at the paper work, it says in big letters. 16.9% apr. (on one)
and the other is actually , not clear, 1.8 % cash, 1.3% purchases. i think

Trills Sat 17-Nov-12 11:03:29

If what you owe can be paid off in the 20 months, do it.

If you would be likely to just spend more, don't.

Depends what your balance is? I'd transfer as my balance would easily be paid off in 20 months.
However, are you sure your current cards are 14 and 16%, that's very low in this climate. My bank CC that I don't use has crept up over the years to 24.9%. Most credit cards are now around 18-20% if you get accepted.

You need to work out from your balance how much you would pay off on each during that time. If transferring would see you balance paid off by the end then yes if not you need to work it out or plan to transfer again at then end of it.

i went to building society with ds recently - to give him money for his birthday. and i was talked into - sold rather - a credit card. 0% interest for 20 mont, 3.1% transfer fee. looking into it, it will cost me £50 to transfer, hwoever after the 20 months the interest rate goes up to a whopping 19%, my current cards are around 14 and 16 %,
help me decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now