Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Payment plan with united utilities

(4 Posts)
butane123 Wed 14-Nov-12 09:39:53

hi we was in debt with the water and at first they expected us to pay £25 a week back we couldnt afford that we was on benefits at the time anyway we rang them explained they put me through to the in difficutlies team i think it was called they did a detailed income and outgoing sheet with me over the phone and then spoke with me about what we thought we could afford .do try and ring them i think in most cases they would rather agree to something you can afford rather than you just not paying the debt at all .im sure they would be willing to come to some arrangement with you .good luck with it xx

Tipsandshoots Wed 14-Nov-12 09:38:39

Ring them there is a care number at the top of the bill.
UU will listen and amend the plan. work out what you can pay and make that offer and they should accept it.
They are one of the good peopel tThey jsut want thath money paid off at some time and as long as there is a plan and you stick to it they should be ok. Do it with UU as they are an ok company to be in debt to as they are prepared to amend the terms. Do it before it goes to a debt managment firm as they just want the money in the quickest way possible and are less flexible.
Good luck UU are one of the better companies

ClareMarriott Wed 14-Nov-12 09:25:33

Hi Dani

United are giving you effectively 5 months in which to clear the debt. I don't know of the company myself, but do you have both your gas and electricity with them ? How has the debt built up?

I'm sure you have spoken to them and explained your situation but can you speak to them again and see if they can rearrange the repayments or can any of your family settle the debt for you?

DaniJade1990 Tue 13-Nov-12 21:05:59

Hi all just need a bit of advice. Have an outstanding debt with united utilities for £300, they want me to pay it back at a rate of £16 a week. Would it be possible to challenge this and how would I go about it? I can't really afford that amount, I'm a single mum and student and money is extremely tight as it is, after paying bills, transport food etc there is nothing left! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now