Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

anyone got bank accounts for their kids??

(10 Posts)
minsat Tue 13-Nov-12 19:42:15

I've been promising kids (ages 14 and 12) I'd open current accounts for them for ages but can't find any for kidsuitable ones. You have to be 18 for the student ones. Kids want some independance and I think it would be good for them. Any ideas?? preferably ethical ones - or is that expecting too much???

lljkk Tue 13-Nov-12 20:00:06

DS8yo has one with Santander. Passbook operated, he can get a cashcard at 11.

sparklypenny Tue 13-Nov-12 20:02:52

HSBC do current account with card. They cannot go overdrawn. They can have a savings account linked to it.

minsat Tue 13-Nov-12 21:52:10

Thanks. No excuses now - better get it sorted! smile

sicutlilium Tue 13-Nov-12 22:51:15

My 13yo has had an account with Barclays in his own name since he was 11 - debit card, no overdraft and I haven't set him up for online banking. It's useful for him buying stuff on Amazon using his debit card rather than having to reimburse me. The 9yo has an account which is a sub-account of mine just as a holding pen for birthday/Christmas money.
As for ethical - have you looked at the Co-Op?

Oodthunkit Tue 13-Nov-12 22:56:46

Nationwide are good.

My two have Nationwide accounts (I think they're called "Smart"). DS is 11, he has a cash card with his.

minsat Wed 14-Nov-12 21:23:45

thanks everyone.

Rascalls3 Thu 15-Nov-12 18:25:38

My 16 year olds have had Nationwide cash cards since they were 11 years old. We have paid their pocket money into them. It's a great way to avoid them having a constant supply of cash and spending it on junk food and tat. The pocket money tends to be left untouched until they have something they really want/need. At 16 they changed accounts to ones that allow you to pay for items in a shop (rather than just a cash card), which feels more grown up. Both accounts with the Nationwide and obviously don't have overdrafts attached to them.

jennywren123 Thu 15-Nov-12 19:25:20

Santander here for DD age 11. They gave her wrong info on helpline about which card she could have (debit/ATM) so she lodged a complaint as they were saying on their website that 11 year olds could have debit card but helpline said 11 year olds could only have cashpoint card. Was great experience for her to follow through with their complaints dept. They agreed they were wrong, gave her the right card and credited her account with £30. She was very happy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now