Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

sick of being overdrawn!

(56 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Tue 13-Nov-12 00:03:59

i got out of my overdraft last month by getting a loan - but my wage just does not cover my outgoings.

i have £81 to last until a week on thursday, but i have one weeks shopping to buy and i will need at least a tank of petrol by then too....

petrol is the bane of my life. i work shifts so cant car share.
shopping normally about £90 for the week - tescos shop and here there is not a budget supermarket, so i find doing an internet tesco shop costs me less as i dont impusle buy....
petrol about £50 per tank and i spend about £250 per month - car is an 11yr old corsa petrol 1.2 litre....cannot afford to change it. i had 6 months car tax to buy in October, if not i would have managed.

pissed off that my wages just dont stretch - on paper they should. We have no luxuries in life at all, we dont eat out, we dont smoke, i buy a box of wine occasionally, we had no holiday this year and my car is 11 years old and fucked

how can i stretch my wage to last without hitting the overdraft again this month? i so want to stay out of it and its pissing me right off. i have nothing in the freezer so cant really save on the shopping,

i have £81
i will need £140.

ideas please as i am determined not to use my overdraft.

LadyKooKoo Tue 13-Nov-12 13:45:11

Don't use the clubcard vouchers for food. Double them up or get meal vouchers/cinema tickets with them, that way you can have some family time too (and your dinner is covered).

pylonic Thu 15-Nov-12 00:08:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anskabel Thu 15-Nov-12 15:08:40

In the longer term is there any way you can move nearer to work to save on petrol costs?

PuggyMum Thu 15-Nov-12 15:31:35

Vicar is your mortgage interest only or repayment? We changed out mortgage to interest only to clear off a few debts quicker at higher rates and are now paying the difference as an overpayment (now the debts are cleared we don't have the loan repayments etc). It's meant our mortgage term extended by a year or two but we can either catch that back up over time or not....

We could arrange it as DH is in same job as you so he has the pension letter saying he'll get £x at 50... (soon to be 60 but that's a whole other thread...).

It's not ideal as some people haven't got the discipline and there's the argument that its irresponsible on the part of the lender but as long as you have something in place to repay if you do drift they may allow it?

ifso Sat 17-Nov-12 11:04:12

i have done the washing laundry without powder for a week but on a 40-60 degree wash and there was zero difference...we all lived and had clean clothes

do rememeber that manufacturers and advertisers LOVE us to feel that we NEED these things...

good point earlier about driving at 50, no sudden stops or speeding up makes petrol go further, really works

food ideas:
-batch cook for the week - carrot soup/pasta bolognese?
- beans
-toast (tesco do loaves under 40p)
- cereal
- banana sandwiches - will nourish you cheaply, a bunch of 10 bananas for about 1.50

flasks of tea in your car, packet of cheap biccies in there to treat yourself!

hang in there, we are all doing this too x

I know you have said you have nothing to sell, but I thought that too, until I saw the crap stuff people are buying and selling on FB. See if you have a local 'sales and wants' page. This week I have sold an old (non working laptop); an old PC an open pack of nappies, a sleepsuit and a desk. None of those would have sold on Ebay I'm sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now