Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Self assessment & maternity pay question

(3 Posts)
MrAnchovy Tue 13-Nov-12 13:54:18

The SMP will have been included in your P60.

Bear in mind that the first £7,475 is not taxed, and only income over £42,475 is taxed at 40% so if your earnings are ... about £50,000 you should have paid tax at 20% on £35,000 and 40% on about £7,500 so about £10,000 in all, which is 20%. Although your marginal tax rate is 40%, your average tax rate is 20%.

FreelanceMama Tue 13-Nov-12 04:55:39

your maternity pay, etc. should have been taxed when you were paid by your company. Check your payslips and it should show what you were paid in maternity pay, and what you actually received after tax. Also check your bonus was taxed.

In which case the figures you use from your P60 to fill out the Employment section of a SA form should include your taxed maternity pay and bonus.

BayeauxT Mon 12-Nov-12 22:05:09

Hi, I have just completed my first self assessment thingie online - for 2011/2012, during which I received 6 weeks maternity pay at 90% and another 8 weeks or so at the basic rate (and during my maternity I also received a bonus which the company paid in full).

When I got to the end of the tax return, it occurred to me that I hadn't put in anywhere what I received as maternity pay - have I missed something? I haven't sent it yet, but got to the end where it does the calculation and it says I owe £1.60! I am just worried because the actual tax paid was only equal to about 20% of total earnings. Add the maternity pay to it and it's another 20% - so does that square up to the 40% higher tax I should be paying? I don't have a clue how this all works!

I will try and call HMRC tomorrow if I get 5 minutes (or 20, depending on the queue) but was hoping that someone knew the answer so I don't have to lie awake worrying!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now