Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Leaving the UK and thinking about opting out of pension

(3 Posts)
aroomofherown Sat 10-Nov-12 16:43:22

I'm a teacher and will be leaving the UK next July (or earlier) for Australia. I've been paying into the TPS for about 5 years.

I am thinking about opting out of the TPS now as it would give me an extra £300 per month that I could put towards paying off my credit card and my moving costs.

Is this a stupid idea?

stargirl1701 Sat 10-Nov-12 16:51:10

10 years ago I would've said YES!!! But, hmmm, chances of us even getting a pension at, what is it now 68, seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer. It feels like by the time we get to that age there won't be pensions any more. Or, we'll be 75 before we can retire.

aroomofherown Sat 10-Nov-12 17:00:10

Well, exactly! Rather depressing thought.

There's a very good chance that I won't be paying into it after July as Australia is my home - although no guarantees that I won't come back - so I'm wondering if it's just a much better idea to pay off my CC as the amount I'll lose from my pension is probably about what I'll pay in interest anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now