Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Winter Fuel Allowance and overseas pensioners

(14 Posts)
mam29 Tue 13-Nov-12 10:43:13

yes but they quick enough to means test child benefit!

makes me mad abroiad payments and payments to wealthy pensioners as there are poor pensioners just not round here but lots struggling families with 2parenst working juggling childcare costs as as my mam said i brought up my kids im not the doting granny.

muckleflugga Mon 12-Nov-12 18:14:04

I don't think it is true. I thought the winter fuel payment was only paid to those eligible if they lived in European economic area.

If they moved to Zimbabawe when they were in their mid twenties how would they have built up enough contributions for state old age pension?

Yes, it's true and it costs too much to means test it.

It's cheaper to just give all OAP's the cash.

ihavenofuckingclue Mon 12-Nov-12 17:45:40

I agree cog, seems ridiculous.

Do you have to tell her she was right? Could you just 'forget'? Would she?

smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 12-Nov-12 15:32:11

That's why I was fairly certain DM was wrong. There they are in southern Africa of all places, not having contributed to UK plc for 50-ish years, and still trousering £200 to keep warm. confused

ihavenofuckingclue Mon 12-Nov-12 11:30:35

Not controversial imo. I think its common sense.

2blessed Mon 12-Nov-12 11:02:57

I don't think its fair that if you're living in another country you still get your winter fuel allowance, sorry if that's controversial...

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 12-Nov-12 10:57:57

So it's extra ketchup and a bit of pickle on the side for that Humble Pie then. Darn... I hate it when she's right.

WildWorld2004 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:16:59

Yes people who live in other countries still get Winter Fuel Allowance.

Its bloody crazy.

PamelaSwynfordDeBeaufort Sat 10-Nov-12 15:46:08

Sorry I mean they will visit the us for 90 days.

You can travel to America and stay 90 days without having to get a visa.

I don't think there is a minimum time they have to spend in the UK.

Its amazing really. With all the cuts you think this would have been changed.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 10-Nov-12 15:36:43

These friends visit relatives in the UK and USA for about a fortnight a year so they aren't in the UK for 90 days. But they've never become Zim citizens despite coming under a lot of pressure to do so.

PamelaSwynfordDeBeaufort Sat 10-Nov-12 15:28:27

I think this is possibly true.

We (dh, I, kids) want to move to america. My parents would like to move with use but have decided that they will visit for 90 day periods as they can keep their pension that way.

to move permanantly would mean becoming american citizens and losing their pensions which they can't afford. I assume its the same as the winter fuel allowance.

noddyholder Sat 10-Nov-12 15:23:37

I think she is right which seems unbelievable

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 10-Nov-12 15:22:04

FWIW DM often gets the wrong end of the stick but she was pretty adamant about this one. Friends of hers emigrated to Zimbabwe nearly 50 years ago when they were mid-twenties & have lived there ever since but maintained British citizenship, passports etc. as a precaution. She tells me they kept UK bank accounts open & still claim their old age pension and also get a Winter Fuel Allowance paid in.

Doesn't sound right to me but she insists she's correct. Will I be needing some ketchup for my Humble Pie??? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now