Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Housing benefit £160 less then calculator amount...

(10 Posts)
mama2moo Wed 07-Nov-12 20:04:50

Is it right that it can be that wrong? I submitted a claim a month ago and after chasing my local council I found out today that I will be getting £160 less then the online calculators state.

Is it normal for them to be that out?

Lougle Wed 07-Nov-12 20:06:15

Firstly, is that the 4-weekly amount, or the weekly amount?

It's a lot harder to imagine it being £160 out per week rather than £40 per week.

Secondly, which calculator did you use?

Thirdly, is it private rental or social housing?

mama2moo Wed 07-Nov-12 20:17:50

Sorry, thats monthly!

I am renting privately and used the calculator on my local councils website. It does say it can vary but thats a lot to vary by!

TheReturnOfBridezilla Wed 07-Nov-12 20:20:33

Do you know if your local council uses LHA rates?

mama2moo Wed 07-Nov-12 20:26:46

It directed me to the LHA website.

I have just used the calculator again and it says £460 a month. Today they told me I could receive £220 a month. So its actually a lot more out then I thought.

minsmum Wed 07-Nov-12 20:37:54

They will send you a letter with a proper breakdown of the amount you are entitled to. It will show the rent, less any unallowed charges, LHA rate used and the figures for your income, capital and all the applicable amounts. Go over it with a fine toothcomb to make sure that everything is correct and if there is an error get back to them in writing as soon possible.
Have you checked that you are not over accomodated, 2 dc
under 10 will only be entitled to 1 bedroom between them for example

Rockchick1984 Wed 07-Nov-12 21:47:21

Is £460 full housing benefit? If you are working you will be entitled to partial HB but usually not the full amount.

mama2moo Thu 08-Nov-12 08:56:44

No, £460 isnt the full amount I could get. On the calculator I used you put in your hours and earnings. I emailed them last night and they have said I can call and ask them to do a manual calculation. I think I will do that this afternoon.

Lougle Thu 08-Nov-12 10:59:53

I hope it works out for you smile

mama2moo Thu 08-Nov-12 12:39:56

They had missed my child care form!! Few, all is sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now