Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much do you spend on your children at Christmas?

(21 Posts)
SuzysZoo Wed 07-Nov-12 22:11:20

I spend something in the middle of what is set out above. Last year I read something about how Christmas should be about experiences to remember rather than the presents, which I think I agree with. So, maybe for December i will try and pick 6-10 things that become a bit of a family tradition. Eg, one afternoon of paper chain making, one afternoon of putting up the tree, one afternoon of going to see Christmas lights etc. That is the sort of thing the kids will remember over what presents they get, I think..........

BridgetJonesPants Tue 06-Nov-12 21:23:57

One DD age 8 and we normally spend around £100 on her.

ISeeThreadPeople Mon 05-Nov-12 22:12:55

£20 max.

pylonic Mon 05-Nov-12 22:09:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pylonic Mon 05-Nov-12 22:07:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FreelanceMama Mon 05-Nov-12 19:11:35

our boy will be nearly 1 and we've spent under 20 - 8 for main present and a few little bits for a stocking. We bought during sales in the last 2 months. But I spent nearly 30 on a needlepoint kit to make his stocking!

oneofthosedays Mon 05-Nov-12 19:00:23

We spend 200 on each of my 2 dcs, usually main pressie is 50-100 and the rest on stocking fillers. The older dd gets the harder it is to stick to that when there's iPods, tv's, games consoles being asked for, although this year she has requested an ipod touch which i've said we'll put 50 to, dd will also add 50 and money from other relatives will make up the rest. Their Xmas outfit is included in that and usually a new pair of shoes/trainers and also new bedding (they love getting new bedding for some reason!). So I feel it's a reasonable amount which is affordable for us atm, we manage to put some away each month towards it all.

sweetkitty Mon 05-Nov-12 17:45:49

Also it all depends some people but their DC a load of new clothes and shoes and wrap them up, some put expensive toys in stockings, some buy thought the year sone don't. It's hard to compare you'll know what works for you.

sweetkitty Mon 05-Nov-12 17:43:59

On the big ones about £250 each, didn't mean to but they wanted big things like a new bike, the little ones about £150 each maybe less.

They don't get anything from anyone else though.

Hassled Mon 05-Nov-12 17:41:30

£100 each, but that doesn't included stockings. The stockings are full of cheap tat, though.

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Mon 05-Nov-12 17:39:53

OP you have to do what works for you and your family. My dc only get toys christmas and birthdays (unless they spend their own money) and I get big things for summer like bikes and scooters as christmas presents, some people just buy their dc a bike in summer because they need one. I also buy clothes pjamas, underwear, trainers so again whatever works for you.

I love the look of wonder on their faces on christmas morning. Iv'e tried being frugal this year but meh I just felt mean.

gobbymare Mon 05-Nov-12 17:38:18

I have been known to spend £100 on main and £200-£300 on other stuff.. clothes, shoes,trainers jim-jams.

I have 2 children 11 & 15 so things are not exactly cheap because the items they want are phones and tv`s etc...

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Mon 05-Nov-12 17:35:17

I spend about 300 on each (that include 100 on clothes each) my nan spends 100 on each and my mum spends about 2/300.

Asinine Mon 05-Nov-12 17:33:14

We spend £50ish on present each (4dcs) but we get money from grandparents (£50 each side) to spend so they get plenty. We also get things they need like pyjamas, books, stationery. They get nothing through the year except birthdays, pocket money and clothes as needed.

Just spend what you want to as long as you can afford it.

Ladyemem Mon 05-Nov-12 17:24:14

Maybe im spending too much then. they do get presents from my parents and my sister but no one else. i know some peoole who spend £500 on each child :O

noisytoys Sun 04-Nov-12 15:08:43

£30 on the main present and maybe another £10 for stocking fillers

notcitrus Sun 04-Nov-12 10:43:21

On stuff - about £30. But loads more on travel to family, theatre tickets, cinema, meals out...
Also eldest in the family are 4, so we're enjoying less-materialistic years while we can. And they are inundated with presents from family to the extent of crying they didn't want any more last year. I counted 27 each and hid about 20...

Mum2Fergus Sun 04-Nov-12 10:10:31

Too much! Lol, no, DP and I each budget £50 each towards DS(3yo) gifts...he gets plenty from GPs, aunts/uncles. We try to have all presents at the right house for waking Christmas morning so it always looks like a lot more smile

Mollydoggerson Sun 04-Nov-12 08:42:15

Probably about 100 each.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sun 04-Nov-12 08:39:09

Not that much tbh as the grandparents go totally loco and buy up half of toys r us, especially my mum as Ds was until recently her only grandchild. Now there's DD too but she's only 3 mo so not really going to be getting too excited :-) I guess probably about 50 or 60 quid on ds. He's two. I do tend to buy him stuff throughout the year too- especially books. I doubt I'll get dd anything.

Ladyemem Sun 04-Nov-12 08:32:07

I have 4 children and spend about £150 each so £600 roughly.
wondered how that compares with others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now