Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Turned down for a credit card

(6 Posts)
EmpireBiscuit Sun 07-Oct-12 19:16:41

I phoned RBS and asked them why I has been turned down - it is part of the lenders agreement that all banks/lenders need to give you details as to why you have been declined. I would give them a bell and ask.

GettinTrimmer Sun 07-Oct-12 19:01:09

Thank for replies

EmpireBiscuit How did you find that out? did you request your credit rating from one of the companies?

EmpireBiscuit Sun 07-Oct-12 18:29:43

I got turned down for a credit card as I had too much "available" credit - a couple of credit cards with £nil balances and some store cards with £nil balances meant I had "available" unsecured credit of £30k+.

I cancelled everything with nothing on it and got a cc no issues.

Flossiechops Sun 07-Oct-12 18:26:19

Hi yes I have. No idea why, everything paid on time, have a mortgage, decent job etc but refused! My mum ended up taking a loan out on my behalf. Went and looked on experion and my rating was excellent so i amconfused as to why I was rejected! All I can think is that credit lenders are much tighter than they used to be on their criteria.

margerykemp Sun 07-Oct-12 18:24:18

your credit rating can be low if you dont have that much credit (as f*ing stupid as that is)

eg no mortgage, no overdraft, no store cards, no phone contract

also dont apply for too many things at once- only apply for cards which you have a good chance of getting

GettinTrimmer Sun 07-Oct-12 18:20:29

Apparently something to do with my credit rating. Only thing dodgy I have done is pay a bill late on my existing credit card (Asda) which i cant use after january as they are no longer dealing with santander. Have been turned downby sainsburys and my own bank for a card.

I have requested a copy of my credit record from equifax, I need to send a copy of my passport to them first despite answering security questions.

Anybody else had similar problems?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now