Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Turned down for a credit card

(6 Posts)
GettinTrimmer Sun 07-Oct-12 18:20:29

Apparently something to do with my credit rating. Only thing dodgy I have done is pay a bill late on my existing credit card (Asda) which i cant use after january as they are no longer dealing with santander. Have been turned downby sainsburys and my own bank for a card.

I have requested a copy of my credit record from equifax, I need to send a copy of my passport to them first despite answering security questions.

Anybody else had similar problems?

margerykemp Sun 07-Oct-12 18:24:18

your credit rating can be low if you dont have that much credit (as f*ing stupid as that is)

eg no mortgage, no overdraft, no store cards, no phone contract

also dont apply for too many things at once- only apply for cards which you have a good chance of getting

Flossiechops Sun 07-Oct-12 18:26:19

Hi yes I have. No idea why, everything paid on time, have a mortgage, decent job etc but refused! My mum ended up taking a loan out on my behalf. Went and looked on experion and my rating was excellent so i amconfused as to why I was rejected! All I can think is that credit lenders are much tighter than they used to be on their criteria.

EmpireBiscuit Sun 07-Oct-12 18:29:43

I got turned down for a credit card as I had too much "available" credit - a couple of credit cards with £nil balances and some store cards with £nil balances meant I had "available" unsecured credit of £30k+.

I cancelled everything with nothing on it and got a cc no issues.

GettinTrimmer Sun 07-Oct-12 19:01:09

Thank for replies

EmpireBiscuit How did you find that out? did you request your credit rating from one of the companies?

EmpireBiscuit Sun 07-Oct-12 19:16:41

I phoned RBS and asked them why I has been turned down - it is part of the lenders agreement that all banks/lenders need to give you details as to why you have been declined. I would give them a bell and ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now