Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Unexpected tax back - how can I work out if it is real?

(8 Posts)
LeonieAJ Wed 17-Oct-12 17:01:35

Hi, do you know your tax code for the financial year your refund is for? If it's last year 2011/12 your code will have probably been 747L. In which case you pay tax on anything you earn in that year over £7475. Tax is taken at 20%. So if you paid more than this, they will be refunding what you overpaid.

whistlestopcafe Wed 17-Oct-12 06:50:50

Everyone seems to be getting tax rebates this year. Dh got one although it was only small. Normally he gets a letter saying that he has underpaid, he is PAYE so you would think it would be straightforward.

ThursdayWillBeTheDay Wed 17-Oct-12 06:45:11

I received a proper letter with detailed breakdowns of overpaid tax yesterday, with the promise of a cheque to follow. Got one this time last year too, so if it is a similar letter, then I'd say it's genuine.

pamish Wed 17-Oct-12 00:57:55

Beware the scam email that says you are due tax back. It's phishing and you could live to regret following email links.

Most scam emails can easily be checked - copy a key phrase and paste into eg google, it will soon find if it's a hoax or thieving.

roquefort Sat 13-Oct-12 18:49:45

Check the income and tax deducted figures at the top of the second page to your P60s etc - if they have used the correct figures, the refund is likely to be correct.

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Thu 04-Oct-12 16:09:51

Fraid not cognito, it means the nhs is failing me!
Good to know abou the tel number, I will call it & ask someone to explain it to me

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Oct-12 07:28:19

If you're planning to spend it on health-care does that mean you're outside the UK? If you're in the UK you can contact HMRC's Taxes Helpline and ask for a statement of account. They're also quite happy to go through the numbers and explain where the rebate has come from. I recently got a rebate when my tax code was adjusted and they were very helpful

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Wed 03-Oct-12 20:48:21

I really really need the money & this could be a life saver
- well would spend it on health care so life saver is kind of literally true!

BUT I don't know why they've given me money back & am scared I'll spend it & then they'll demand it back & then I'll be completely screwed.

How can I work out where it comes from? There was a one page explanation BUT I don't understand it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now