Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Are my bills to much?

(20 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Mon 01-Oct-12 20:45:08

When we were on a meter our water was £10-£13 a month.

Now we are rateable value its £352 a year. Gutted.

There a lots of water savind devices on the water companies websites that you can order for free. I got tap inserts and knocked £5 a quarter off my bill and we have a very water effiecient dishwasher so effectively we only use one bowl of water a day to wash all our dishes etc. Apparently washing by hand 3 times a day uses 60ltrs each time with rinsing and cleaning the sink afterwards.

Frontpaw Mon 01-Oct-12 11:55:00

We pay about that for utilities. Water is less because we looked into getting a met but they couldn't fix one in the flat so put us I allowed tarif. We were paying about £400 a year before (for a 2 bed flat) and this was about double what we paid in our last proper of the same size.

ByTheWay1 Mon 01-Oct-12 11:51:48

I am with Severn Trent - not on a meter - and pay £50 per month in a 3 bed detached (band d) house. If you are paying monthly - remember with Severn trent, you only pay 8 months of the year. So ours is £400 pa.

If you are not on a meter it goes on rateable value from "the olden days" lol..... ours is better without a meter...compared to next door who had one fitted.....

Utilities seem high to me - I am home all day (mostly) and our electric is £67 and gas £31 - that is with the British Gas online tariff.

toddlerama Mon 01-Oct-12 11:42:34

I pay the same with the dame family set up. We are on a water meter. I do like showers quite a lot though...

miaboo Mon 01-Oct-12 11:36:05

Hi, water seems to be the one to look at then!
How excatly does a water meter work, do you still have a direct debit or do you get bills to pay (meaning do I have to put x amount of money away every month to prepare for the bill coming)

LadyKooKoo Fri 28-Sep-12 20:41:59

I am with Severn Trent, not on a metre and pay £21 a month (3 bed house).

3nationsfamily Fri 28-Sep-12 17:00:48

Shop around for your gas and electric using uswitch.com or similar comparison site.

Fizzylemonade Fri 28-Sep-12 16:53:52

I am SAHM so am in during the day, our gas and elec is £120pm for 4 bed house, me DH and the DCs who are 9 and 6.

Our water bill is about £27pm we are on a meter. I use the washing machine at least once a day and run a dishwasher.

I love my water meter, I pay for what I use.

WiseKneeHair Thu 27-Sep-12 19:40:28

I'm with the same companies as you miaboo and pay similar amounts.
There are five of us also.
In fact, are you me? grin
Water is £41 a month, so z bit lower (on a water metre).
Gas/ electric is £141, so a bit more.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 27-Sep-12 19:39:20

Your water is high, but utilities look about right.

PickledFanjoCat Thu 27-Sep-12 19:37:57

Water seems high. I wasnt far off that for utilities in a 2 bed flat with just me ds a d dp.

YokoUhOh Thu 27-Sep-12 19:36:46

I have a huge bath which I fill quite regularly and my water bill has just been reduced to £19 a month. I've come off fixed direct debit for leccy/gas as I had a massive (£300) credit on my account. Definitely worth phoning your utilities company and negotiating them down.

Shakey1500 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:29:04

Our water is £40 per month but we will be in credit by about £100 at the end of our year, we're on a water meter.

Gas and electric combined is average £50 per month, the best rate we've ever had. There is me, Dh and Ds.

Rattitude Thu 27-Sep-12 19:25:35

There is a water consumption calculator on the BBC website. Based on the results, you can then decide whether you might be better off with a water meter.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:22:51

Yes.

Fairylea Thu 27-Sep-12 18:04:07

Our electric is 100 with southern electric and our water is 60.

There's me dh dd aged 9 and ds 4 months.

lljkk Thu 27-Sep-12 18:02:14

Ooh, hard numbers, more like 400/yr is typical for water bills. So £51/month would be quite high.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 27-Sep-12 10:37:57

Your water bill sounds very high to me. There are only two of us but I pay under £20/month with Veolia. Are you on a meter? The gas/electric sounds like mine before we had double-glazing and loft insulation installed.

lljkk Thu 27-Sep-12 10:36:09

I think 1300/yr is household UK average for gas+elec, you're not far over, but then you're home with young children most the day, I suppose.

I think your water bill sounds about average, too.

miaboo Thu 27-Sep-12 09:50:08

Hi
My water bill is £51.00 with severn trent and my gas and electric is £130 per month with n power
Theres me, Dh and my 3 children who are 5,2 and 5 weeks in my house so is this to much to pay do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now