Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Another child benefit question (sorry)

(4 Posts)
Durab Wed 26-Sep-12 14:46:30

Where a single mother, getting no or limited help from DC's father is earning under the threshold for CB, but lives with a man who has no PR for the children, will her CB be clawed back through his tax return if he earns more than the threshold?

Why or whynot?

EldonAve Wed 26-Sep-12 14:51:18

yes, if you are living together it will be clawed back

more info on this pdf

Durab Wed 26-Sep-12 15:04:31

Thank you, I thought that would be the case, but it doesn't sit easily with me . I'm not affected personally, but are women supposed be financially dependent on men, or not?

I think there will be pressure on some of these women not to claim in the first place.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 27-Sep-12 07:26:06

Living with someone as a couple - whether married or not and whether children are involved or not - has always affected the amount of benefits someone can receive. Child benefit going from being universal to means tested becomes no different in that regard to CTC, WTC and all the rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now