Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

paying in cheques - bank won't accept if not full name? Is this true?

(17 Posts)
evilkitten Thu 27-Sep-12 22:07:03

If you present the cheque at the counter, it's an opportunity for the staff to be eagle-eyed and spot problems. The cheque is suddenly your problem.

On the other hand, if you fill in your own deposit slip, and drop it in the machine, then at the end of the day, they're left with the problem of either processing it, or writing you a letter/ringing you up and returning the cheque to you. Guess which is easiest for them? I've never had a cheque paid in this way queried yet.

MOSagain Thu 27-Sep-12 14:32:31

starfishmummy yes, I'm sure he went. He is unlikely to have paid one of the two cheques I gave him in and made up some ridiculous story about why he didn't pay the second one in.

In the end, he went back to his office, found a matching biro and squeezed in my initial and went back and paid it in.

I was just interested if it was a new rule. I can understand the banks not paying it in if in wrong/maiden name but really fail to see why they refused as there was no initial.

goingtoofast Thu 27-Sep-12 09:49:50

I know our local Brownie and Guide packs have had cheques rejected by the bank recently which about a year ago would have been accepted. I think they are making it harder for people to accept cheques.

I was given one in my married name and had to ask for it to be re-written as I haven't changed my name. The bank would accept it even if I brought in my marriage certifcate as proof, it was a joint account so my husbands surname name was already on the account.

ApricotPoodle Thu 27-Sep-12 09:44:53

Had this discussion with my bank yesterday. They said it is entirely down to the individual cashier.
In my situation, Given the (imaginary) name Annabella Smith, I was allowed to cash cheques for Attabella Smith and also Bella Smith.

celebmum Thu 27-Sep-12 09:41:59

It's not necessarily the tellers, it's the clearance centre that the chqs get sent to that make the rules, ideally the chq should be in the exact name of the account holder, and it is up to the observant teller to spot this.. inc title as lot of parents/children have the same name.. Eg mrs Samantha blue or miss Sam blue.. Who's is that chq in name of s.blue? Can easily be misinterpreted as fraud. Plus if ur chq is for say £15 but the clearance centre impose a charge if £25 for a chq in wrong name u end up worse off!

arfur Thu 27-Sep-12 09:36:08

I would either squeeze the initial in if possible, try again with a different cashier or use the quick pay envelope thingy - ridiculous nonsense!! grin

starfishmummy Thu 27-Sep-12 09:31:01

Are you sure he actually went to the bank and is not just using this as an excuse because he forgot?

RedHelenB Thu 27-Sep-12 09:20:01

Could he not just put your initial in between?

MOSagain Wed 26-Sep-12 13:37:29

I'm just wondering, having banked with the same bank for over 25 years and having never had problems before with simply Mrs MOS, they are now refusing to accept them. I think if there is a rule, they should stick to it at all times and inform customers of this so that they can ensure chequres are written correctly.

I just wondered if it was a new change I was unaware of

violathing Wed 26-Sep-12 13:37:08

My Dh has this all the time he is xx trading as yy and the cheque is always made out wrong even though the pyee is stated clearly on the invoice. However the bank HSBC know him on a personal level and always accept these cheques as they are aware of the issue

Cheques should be written out with full first name and surname. My surname is Smith. I wouldn't expect them to accept a cheque written to Mrs Smith as that could be anyone. It is down to the discretion of the cashier whether it's accepted however if it was fraudulent it would be a financial loss to the bank as they would have to compensate the 3rd party if the accepted a cheque without a full name on. Maybe the cashier was already on a warning or was new and doing things by the rules

megandraper Wed 26-Sep-12 13:29:00

My bank accepted a cheque I took it which had a completely different name on it (my maiden name). I think the guy just wasn't paying attention.

MOSagain Wed 26-Sep-12 13:28:38

Should have clarified, he was paying it into my account with my bank card

MOSagain Wed 26-Sep-12 13:28:14

Not because I wasn't there dinky as he had two cheques and they let him pay in the one that said Mrs X MOS but refused the other one. Twunts!
Just a PITA as I'll have to go and do it myself another time and its not as easy for me to get to the bank

dinkystinky Wed 26-Sep-12 13:26:31

Doesnt sound right MoS - Have paid in cheques with an initial and my stupidly long surname misspelt before and to Mr and Mrs X (DH's surname - had to take my wedding certificate in that time to prove we are one and the same)... Maybe because it wasnt you paying it in yourself they refued to accept it.

I've not had a problem, and I paid in a cheque yesterday which only had half of my double-barrelled surname on it no problem.

Maybe it's up to the cashiers?

MOSagain Wed 26-Sep-12 13:21:44

DH has just gone to bank to pay in a cheque for me but bank refused to let him pay it in as it didn't have my first name or initial on. ie, Mrs MOS and not Mrs 'x' MOS. Is this really true? I'm certain I've often had cheques to Mrs MOS or Mr and Mrs MOS which I've paid in with no problems before.

Am wondering if this is a recent change in rules?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now