Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

i dont understand wat benefits im entitled to!!

(9 Posts)
lovepink Wed 26-Sep-12 10:36:09

ive just started working nights only 11-15hrs a week( as my daughter is only 10 months) but ive been signed off with depression and i dont know if i should go back to work as i find it hard to deal will along with my everyday drama!! i just dont understand how much money id be entiltlied to!! i live with my partner but we dont get along the greatest so even though his wage is decent i dont get any of it and thats why i got a job but now i struggle!!

Chopstheduck Wed 26-Sep-12 10:42:06

Benefits calculator!!! here

kekouan Wed 26-Sep-12 10:42:20

I would assume normal CTC/WTC (have a look on the entitled to calculator and stick in all your details)

Why don't you share his income? Do you have any access to finance at all, do you claim child benefit in your name etc?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Sep-12 11:03:57

I'd also question what is the point of a partner that keeps his money to himself and forces you to go short or claim benefits. If you don't get along well, maybe he's not helping your depression either?

kekouan Wed 26-Sep-12 11:07:40

When you're punching the numbers into the calculator do it as if you'd be on your own as well, just to compare. I did this yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. Make sure you look at your housing benefit entitelment when you do it, and look at child maintenance too. I think you do need to be working 16 hours a week to be able to claim CTC/WTC etc though.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Sep-12 12:02:20

16 hours as a single parent claiming WTC. CTC is income-related, takes into account child-care costs/disability/etc. but isn't working hours related.

kekouan Wed 26-Sep-12 12:05:03

Thanks Cogito

lovepink Wed 26-Sep-12 21:37:52

thank you!! ye im not too sure why i am with a partner who doesnt share money but guess its easier to stay than leave just now.

kekouan Wed 26-Sep-12 22:35:02

Seriously.. look at the tax credits etc that you would be entitled to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now