Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

i paid for raffle tickets now they say theyve not sold enough and are refunding

(8 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Sep-12 10:01:36

x-posted with oldladyknowsnothing, sorry.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Sep-12 10:01:12

It's legal. I've seen it before where someone was raffling a house, aimed to sell enough tickets to hit the market price of the property, failed to reach the target, and refunded everyone their stake. The raffle or lottery ticket is worth the purchase value until the winning number is drawn.

Lawks, I thought it'd be for a car or a pub, not a few toys!

grin

omfgkillmenow Wed 26-Sep-12 00:16:09
omfgkillmenow Wed 26-Sep-12 00:14:54

well the raffle seems to be still running but they have put a post on that as not much interest they will be refunding, i actually thought it would sell out quickly as a little people toy but there doesn't seem to be much interest, I think they are a business about half the money goes on the prize and half goes to them but sometimes for big things the profit goes to charity.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 26-Sep-12 00:11:14

I suspect they can. Some years ago someone wanted to sell their house but couldn't get the price they wanted, so they decided to raffle it, with the condition that if they didn't sell x number of tickets, the raffle would be void and tickets refunded.

Not sure how that played out, actually.

THETrills Wed 26-Sep-12 00:10:26

So they are saying that they will give you your money back?

Rather than give you a 1 in xxxxx chance of winning something?

Yes, I think they can do this.

Were you hoping that they would not sell very many and so you 'd have a very good chance of winning the thing?

Most "raffles" are done for charity, not for profit. If they don't sell enough tickets then the charity won't get anything.

omfgkillmenow Wed 26-Sep-12 00:06:30

can they do this legally? I bought raffle tickets and only 2 or 3 other people have, its a fb group, can they legally refund me or do they have to honour the raffle tickets? any help much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now