Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Work from home jobs - is there any??

(22 Posts)
miaboo Fri 08-Jun-12 15:02:17

Just gone on maternity leave and really not wanting to return back to my old job in March next year, Have been looking at the tax credits calculator and if I dont return I will the get the same in tax credits as I do earnings in my old job ( I know this could change)
This is still going to leave us very tight as we will have 3 children, Is there any work from home jobs that actually make money, I want to be earning around £800-£900 per month, If I went back to work the most I could earn is £500 then any after that I would have to start paying childcare which then makes it pointless, this way there is no childcare involved
Any ideas/help?

whattodoo Fri 08-Jun-12 15:05:28

I'm sure there are working from home jobs, but few that will be do-able with children at home at the same time, unless its evening work you can do while they're in bed.

RockChick1984 Fri 08-Jun-12 21:16:55

I know that I was advised some travel agencies have work-from-home staff for telephone customer service roles when I was looking at going back after maternity leave. You would still need childcare for this though, there's no way you could do it with children in your care.

MarySA Fri 08-Jun-12 22:14:11

I don't think there would be very many jobs that would earn £800-900 a month from home. Maybe evening work would be best if your partner could look after the children. I know it's not ideal.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 09-Jun-12 13:22:35

I doubt you will find a job that pay £900 a month where you can work whilst caring for your children.

Its not wise to rely on tax credits as they will be abolished in the near future and if you give up work you may find you wont be many employers first choice when you start looking again in the future.

If you want to avoid childcare, you'll need to find a weekend or evening role around your husbands hours.

amillionyears Sat 09-Jun-12 17:33:58

Have you looked in the work and money section on here,on the working from home section.It gives a list of working from home jobs that some Mumsnetters do,and advice.Hope it helps.

breadandbutterfly Tue 12-Jun-12 14:28:22

I make more than this BUT it took me a decade to build this up gradually. So yes it can be done - but without knowing what your old field was, no idea what areas to recommend.

breadandbutterfly Tue 12-Jun-12 14:28:28

I make more than this BUT it took me a decade to build this up gradually. So yes it can be done - but without knowing what your old field was, no idea what areas to recommend.

Metalhead Tue 12-Jun-12 16:46:45

I returned to my old job as an editor but now purely work from home. However, as others have said, there is no way you can do this whilst looking after 3 kids at home! My DD still goes to nursery the days I'm working, otherwise I would not get anything done (which does seem to suprise a lot of people...).

Mum2Fergus Tue 12-Jun-12 17:22:06

Im a project manager with large bank and work from home...however still have childcare costs. There is no way Id have DS at home when Im being paid to work.

miaboo Tue 12-Jun-12 19:04:02

I think I'm willing to do anything! One of my ds's is at school and I would find childcare for the other 2 or work the weekends or evenings!

Louiseleb Tue 12-Jun-12 19:57:31

What are your qualifications? Can you teach anything? This is the ideal job to do from home but obviously you would need to be qualified in whatever you teach... Or what about selling Avon or Amway or Anne Summers etc? Or there are agencies that handle "virtual PA" type roles where you just use your own computer and phone and they send you work and route calls for you to answer, but you couldn't do that with the noise of a baby in the background.

fionathepink Tue 12-Jun-12 21:37:11

I had a similar problem; wanted to work but couldn't afford to work. If I didn't then I couldn't pay rent, if I did then I couldn't afford childcare let alone rent. So, I became the childcare. This way, I get paid for bringing up my son and the money I earn over and above bills I am saving to invest in something I've always wanted to do. It is hard work but if one of yours is in school, you may be given enough child places by Ofsted to make it pay. Especially if you can include school collections from other parents at the school where your eldest attends.

Conserve Tue 12-Jun-12 21:53:44

I've worked from home as a curtain maker/seamstress, self employed and working for local companies. I have had singing lessons held at tutors own house and also alexander technique was held at their house.
In hindsight I feel I did neglect my children a bit - most of the time they saw the back of me leaning over a sewing machine and if you are working from home you cant escape it - its always there. I was lucky enough to have a big spare room for it so managed to keep it contained. Ive never earned that much though.
So maybe if you have a hobby or an interest that you could develop and make money from that it may work. As Breadandbutterfly said it may take years to build up.

tallskinnylatte Tue 12-Jun-12 21:59:34

Definitely concur with the above- I work from home, self employed doing work related to the field I was working in pre child. Absolutely not even worth thinking about without childcare- DD is at nursery and preschool 3 days per week, plus I work evenings. It's not the easy option but I do get to spend more time with my DD than if I was commuting 1hr plus anmd had to work standard office hours.
fionathepink's experience is quite a common story at our playgroup as well.

Cargat Wed 13-Jun-12 07:54:05

My company is always looking for people to work from home with flexible hours. I cannot advertise here so is there a way I can get some info to you? It may be useful or may not but worth looking at I guess.

miaboo Wed 13-Jun-12 09:09:37

Hi cargat I think you can private message me?
Thanks

PinkCanary Wed 13-Jun-12 09:13:54

I 'became' the childcare too. You can register as a childminder without any formal childcare qualifications as long as you show willing to learn. I was unqualified when i started and now have a Foundation Degree in Early Years. I earn more than i did before i had children. If you enjoy spending time playing and interacting its a perfect job. Especially on those lovely summer days when everyone else is stuck in an office. Downsides are the paperwork rivals that of a Teacher; expect to be doing that evenings and weekends, and it can be quite a lonely profession; not a lot of adult company.

SucksToBeMe Wed 13-Jun-12 09:14:39

I had to change my job when DS was born, i used to work 7 days a week with horses. I now work nights as i can't stand to be away from DS.

zebrafinch Wed 13-Jun-12 14:21:40

My mum had 6 kids and worked nights at the hospital whilst my Dad cared for us after he came home from work. How about a paid carer working nights only, not sure how much you can earn but nights should be paid more than days?

karen3w Fri 15-Jun-12 17:36:41

I work from home as an audio typist but I earn at most a couple of hundred a month. I could drum up more business by writing and calling all local (and not so local) businesses though and could probably work all the time my daughter is at school and earn more. However, I couldn't have done that whilst she was till at home.

RUAHall Fri 13-Sep-13 14:11:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now