Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Applying for a crisis loan.

(40 Posts)
JanineButcher Sat 26-May-12 23:55:20

Hi. Sorry, I've name changed as I'm blush

I'm due to move house in less then 2 weeks and have been dropped in it as my current landlord won't refund my deposit and extra month's rent (about 1k) that they have been paid until after I move out at least because she's going on holiday when I move out. I need this to pay for the rent in the new house before I move in. I also have moving costs which I can't cover now. There's no other way I can get the funds so I thought about applying for a crisis loan to cover this. I'm self employed but get child tax credit and working tax credit and will be able to repay it once I get the money back from the current landlord. How long does it usually take? This is the first one I've applied for.

Thank you.

LadySybildeChocolate Sun 27-May-12 16:02:39

I've no idea, sorry. Bump. smile

LowRegNumber Sun 27-May-12 16:21:08

I think they are usually sorted out very quickly bit the criteria for what you can apply to pay has recently changed so check out what you need to say carefully before you go in. The details should be on the direct gov site. Also check and take all your documents so there are no delays there. You certainly used to he able to wait for a giro cheque the same day but not sure if that still stands.

Fwiw I have never heard of anyone getting their bond/advance rent back before they have left the property and the ll has done the relevant checks however there should be a time limit on how long they can take (regardless of holidays etc) maybe you can find this out via the bond scheme websites?

KatieScarlett2833 Sun 27-May-12 16:23:33

If you call in the morning and get approval-payment same day at your local Jobcentre. I wouldn't count on approval though.

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 16:24:32

smile Thank you. It's just house moving expenses as I need to pay the rent in advance. What documents do they usually ask for? Bank statement? Rent agreement?

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 16:25:51

I get housing benefit and it's a private landlord. Are they turning a lot of people down? I don't know what I'll do if they refuse. I've never had one before. sad

BonnieBumble Sun 27-May-12 16:26:03

I have no idea but if you explain your situation to your landlady do you think she might relent?

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 16:28:08

I don't know. They seem lovely but it won't look very good if I can't pay the first month's rent.

LowRegNumber Sun 27-May-12 16:30:32

Like I said check it out carefully I think they don't lend for rent in advance and will refer you to the bond scheme or something like that (this is vague knowledge nothing more) so you need to be in the know before you make any calls or you could scuper yourself good and proper!

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 16:32:27

www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytaxandbenefits/benefitstaxcreditsandothersupport/on_a_low_income/dg_10018856 Apparently, you can.

"A Crisis Loan can help cover the following short term needs:

meeting daily living expenses
rent in advance
board/lodging charges
residential charges for a hostel
pre-paid meter fuel debt
travel expenses if you are stranded away from home "

LowRegNumber Sun 27-May-12 16:33:01

(again vague) I think the rent in advance thingy is for vulnerable people so you would need to fit specific criteria to apply from there. Just check out what qualifies for a crisis loan and take it from there is what I would suggest.

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 16:33:35

sad Thank you, I'll have a look.

LowRegNumber Sun 27-May-12 16:34:06

Ooh x post, that sounds really good. Do they give you any more detail?

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 16:41:26

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/sf401r-print.pdf I've found this. It seems as though they do, provided it's not a deposit and is not for a LA property. Wehey! I don't think I can get any help with the moving costs though but that's not a big problem, I'll just have to eat beans on toast for a couple of weeks.

Notalone Sun 27-May-12 16:50:37

I think you can apply or a budgetting loan - that can cover removal expenses and deposits but it all depends on when you need the money. It would not be an immediate decision.

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 16:54:53

I don't get income support/JSA/ESA so am not eligible for that. Ds's father has just decided to stop paying maintenance for him and it's really dropped me in it. I doubt the CSA will be able to sort him out in a week and a half, I'd have been able to just about manage otherwise.

LowRegNumber Sun 27-May-12 16:57:13

Oh that is great news, like I say it has changed! Beans on toast aren't too terrible, maybe the odd jacket with beans for variety? grin hope the move goes well!

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 16:58:39

I could do that. Thank you smile Fingers crossed that they can sort it out.

LowRegNumber Sun 27-May-12 19:09:59

Fingers crossed for this and a smooth move smile

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 19:28:19

smile Thank you. I have to move, the neighbours are driving me nuts!

MyLittleMiracles Sun 27-May-12 19:38:52

Crisis loans are paid only in an emergency and to protect your health. They are very unlikely to pay removal costs but I believe they will pay two weeks worth of rent to secure fresh accommodation. I would recommend applying for a budgeting loan ASAP as they can help with removal expenses etc.

I know this wasn't what you wanted to hear but speak to your new landlord.

NettoSuperstar Sun 27-May-12 19:43:46

If you really need the money, then you lost your purse.
Phone the police station first to see if anyone has handed it in, maybe a local supermarket too.

JanineButcher Sun 27-May-12 20:30:46

If I don't move from here, miracles, I will go nuts! I also have a disability which my neighbours are making worse as I'm being woken up at all hours. I'm not eligible for a budgeting loan as I'm not on the right benefits.

I haven't lost my purse, Netto.

NettoSuperstar Sun 27-May-12 20:32:33

You have if you need a crisis loan.

NettoSuperstar Sun 27-May-12 20:33:32

To anyone reading, these are paid back btw, so not taking anything, just borrowing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now