Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Q&A on how to save for your children's future

(36 Posts)
ShadeMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Aug-11 11:08:36

We've got Barclays saving expert Andy Gray to answer any questions you have about saving for your children's future and to talk through some of the saving options out there.

Please post your question here by Thursday 25 August and we'll have the answers back for you by 12 Sept.

proudmum74 Wed 24-Aug-11 14:28:00

We're trying to set up some sort of fund to support my disabled baby daughter when she is older, should she be unable to work. What is the most effective way of doing this? Our local barclays bank has talked to us about normal saving accounts, but these don't allow us to save enough in them, or offer enough interest, to provide a realistic level of support. What would you suggest?

HarrietJones Wed 24-Aug-11 15:03:02

Crazymum- is it actually a children's account?

NormaSnorks Wed 24-Aug-11 17:16:19

Sounds like the GP one has been opened in trust or something - don't know much more than that I'm afraid....

crazymum53 Thu 25-Aug-11 09:32:27

I don't know what sort of account it is. I have asked the bank but they say that "in the interest of customer confidentiality" they can't tell me (or my daughter either)!

wahwahwah Thu 25-Aug-11 10:13:47

We have CTF set up and pay £100 pcm - CTFs are ending soon. Best to go into the new ISAs or set up a pension (or both)? When will we know about the childs ISAa? Can we keep the CTF or will the money be moved to another wrapper?

ShadeMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Aug-11 12:14:47

This thread is now closed to questions. Make sure you check back on 12 Sept for answers from Barclays saving expert, Andy Gray.

HonestlyBanking Sat 27-Aug-11 19:50:24

Why do you charge (along with the other banks) so much for your CTF? The 1.5% is not the total charge as you don't show the TER (total Expense Ration) or the turnover rate of the investments (where you profit each time as well). As a guide you are charge twice the amount a reputable stockbroker would charge for a managed portfolio. Can you tell us your total profit and margin on these products?

BumptiousandBustly Wed 14-Sep-11 07:24:37

Anynews mumsnet? I am really looking forward to the info on this, so just hoping it hasn't been forgotten?

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Sep-11 09:23:42

Hello, we're just finishing the page with the answers, it should be live later today and we'll post to let you know and link to it.

ShadeMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Sep-11 12:32:39

Please find saving expert Andy Gray's answers here.

Yawner247 Wed 21-Sep-11 14:47:00

Its taken ages to find this grin now I won't lose it blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now