Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

unemployment benefit + housing benefit advice needed

(6 Posts)
scarlettsmummy2 Sat 24-Nov-12 14:54:25

He could declare himself homeless, he would probably get a place in a young persons hostel and then go on a waiting list for his own tenancy.

claire201 Tue 10-May-11 23:10:42

Depending on his background he may be eligible for extra help, for example if he recently came out of care. The councils through care and after care team would be able to advise

Watchoutdailyfail Tue 10-May-11 23:06:59

www.entitledto.co.uk has a brill calculator smile

whome6 Tue 10-May-11 18:17:14

hmmm, hes right then
£319.81 in my area
that leaves him with -£17 per month after his rent

ok sooo he needs to find a bed sit and leave his studio

thank you
smile

Snorbs Tue 10-May-11 18:01:22

I'm no expert but according to this page, the maximum someone of 19 will get in JSA is £53.45 per week.

Housing benefit varies per area and also depending on circumstance. A single 19yo will only be eligible for the Shared Room Rate, ie, you're expected to use it to pay the rent on a flatshare or similar. It's not meant to be enough to pay for a one bed flat. This page will take you through working out how much you could expect in your area. For example, in St Albans the shared room rate is currently £315 a month. This gets updated monthly based (allegedly) on surveys of actual rents.

whome6 Tue 10-May-11 17:51:13

hi all, this is not my normal name sorry.

i met a lad today in my town, he was picking up mcdonalds packets people were dumping and eating their rubbish.
safe to say hes now been fed and been stocked up with food.
while he was eating lunch he told me his story,
hes 19 had a job, moved into his own place
then lost the job.
Ok so what i need help with is
hes told me what his rent is, how much housing benefit he gets and how much jos seekers he gets
is there anyone here who knows how these things work properly that can message me, i would like to help this lad but i need to know that what hes said is about right.
thank you in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now