Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Widowed Parents Allowance

(7 Posts)
HMTheQueen Fri 25-Feb-11 11:40:01

Hi All,

I know that Tax Credits are going to change come April, but I was wondering if anyone knows if Widowed Parents Allowance is going to change?

Just trying to figure out if I can afford to work after April sad

TIA

HMTheQueen Fri 25-Feb-11 14:51:03

hopeful bump....

HMTheQueen Tue 01-Mar-11 09:56:14

another bump smile

iskra Tue 01-Mar-11 16:14:28

Ask your CAB/a local benefits adviser?

mranchovy Wed 02-Mar-11 11:44:20

No change as far as I can see.

I think it is unlikely that death benefits will be changed in the short or medium term, the priority is simplification of means-tested benefits such as tax credit, housing benefit etc.

HMTheQueen Wed 02-Mar-11 12:33:06

Thanks - I couldn't see anything when I looked, and I wondered if they had snuck it in!

I figured they wouldn't as there'd be outrage considering it's for people who's partners have died.... and that's the sort of thing the Daily Mail would latch onto!! grin

Ta anyway smile

deskjet3070 Mon 03-Feb-14 20:30:17

HMTheQueen,
WPA will be replaced by Bereavement Support Payment.

However, if you already receive WPA you should be unaffected (at least initially, although who knows just what they'll do next).

New claimants will be dramatically affected.

I have added a post explaining the changes on this existing thread:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/bereavement/a1543192-Ending-Widowed-Parents-Allowance-after-a-year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now