Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What happens re benefits if a working partner moves in with you?

(18 Posts)
CabbagefromaBaby Sun 09-Jan-11 18:46:25

I hope someone will have experience of this and be able to advise.

I'm a single parent currently on benefits, however my partner and I are discussing living together.

He earns but not consistently and would probably not be able to support us on what he earns (varies from approx nothing per week to at most £500).

I don't want to cheat the system but am worried about how we would manage - can anyone tell me which benefits we'd be able to claim still, and what would go?

I currently get IS as the children are young, also DLA due to mental health problems.

And housing benefit of course. I could handle a minor drop in income if he was living here as I'd have more help with things. I just want to be prepared and be able to plan.

Thankyou.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Jan-11 18:52:12

They stop and you need to re-apply as a domestic couple.

If he moves in you'll be eligible for housing benefit, working and child tax credits.

You'll keep your DLA (until your review comes up and then it's anyone's guess, but I'd count on losing it if you're receiving it for mental health problems, sadly) and Child Benefit.

BooBooGlass Sun 09-Jan-11 18:54:03

Please don't even try and cheat the system. The person you should speak to is the Lone Parent Adviser at the job centre. They'll give you a complete rundown of all you're entitled to

CabbagefromaBaby Sun 09-Jan-11 18:54:18

Thankyou very much. That's really helpful.

Any idea how hard it is to claim those sorts of things (WTC etc) if income is really random? Would it be a constant nightmare of form filling and cockups?

He's self employed which I think might be an issue in itself.

CabbagefromaBaby Sun 09-Jan-11 18:55:41

BooBoo, cheating the system is furthest thing from my thoughts, I never have done and never wish to. Please don't assume all single parents with a relationship are morally compromised.

Thanks for the idea, I might talk to my LP advisor.

Bonkerz Sun 09-Jan-11 18:56:15

It would be based on last years income so he needs to look at his books and see what he earnt BEFORE tax last year and declare that. If you go to ENTITLEDTO.COM you can get a rough guide of what you would get if he moved in.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Jan-11 18:56:17

Not hard. He'll have to estimate his yearly income is all (best to use old tax returns for this).

It's the same application for working and child tax credits and you apply as a household.

The housing/council tax benefit form is different and you need to go to your local council to get a form.

notapizzaeater Sun 09-Jan-11 18:56:41

You could also pop the figures in www.entitledto.co.uk and this will show what you can claim for.

notapizzaeater Sun 09-Jan-11 18:57:03

sorry link www.entitledto.co.uk

CabbagefromaBaby Sun 09-Jan-11 18:58:11

Thankyou ever so much - lots of avenues to follow up.

It actually sounds a bit easier than the whole IS thing tbh.

Thanks guys.

CabbagefromaBaby Sun 09-Jan-11 19:08:19

Thankyou for the link, it looks like we might be roughly the same as now - well, that would need to support him as well! smile

and BooBoo I apologise, from my OP it wasn't entirely clear - I don't want to cheat the system but could have been misconstrued.

Fwiw I don't want to, and I mean it smile

Tayshan23 Thu 08-Oct-15 15:19:23

Hello
I was wondering if anyone would have any advice as I'm at the end of my teather with life right now...I'm went to the council when I was pregnant with my second child last year eventually after a few months wait I was moved in to the hostel I am still currently in, I made it clear when I put in my homelessness application that I was still in a relationship with my children's father & still I have ended up in a hostel where I'm not allowed any visitors including him! My youngest son is now 1 & from the day I had him I've had to look after him on my own as well as my oldest who is 5, my baby has reflux ( gastroenteritis ) which causes a burning sensation in he's chest and plenty of vomit this can lead to 4 hours straight of him screaming each night. Me and my children are in 1 room so this is upsetting for my 5 year old as he can't get to sleep and is very tired at school on a daily basis, my partner helps out as much as he can but there's only so much he can do when he's not allowed inside and also works full time.

We are now talking about adding him in to my tenancy so we can live together but with him working full time does that mean my benefits (including housing benefit) will be taken away? He does around 20 hours a week and makes aprox £500 per month, I gave up my job when I moved in because rent is £256 a week and with childcare costs as well we wouldn't even have enough left over for food shopping I was on an apprentice wage if I had a choice I would ditch the benefits straight away but at the moment I'm in need of them.

I could be in this hostel for years and my partner is missing out on so much with the children & our relationship is suffering too,I feel like I'm a single mother when I don't have to be ???? sorry for such a long post needed to vent any advice would be much appreciated
Thank you.

Rockchick1984 Thu 08-Oct-15 15:49:01

Why on earth are you not living with your partner, and you are expecting the state to provide everything when he works???

In answer to your question, you would still get some help through benefits however you need to be working 24 hours a week between you to get the maximum help via working tax credits so either you would need to start working part time too, or he would need to work more hours.

Babyroobs Thu 08-Oct-15 15:56:57

Tayshan. I don'tunderstand why you don't live togetherif he is the father of your 2 kids and you are a couple. You would still get benefits if you lived as a couple, housing benefit, childtax cedits etc if on a low income. As pp says as a couple you would need to work 24 hours between you to claim working tax credits but that shouldn't be difficult between 2 of you. Where does your patner live at the moment , have you always lived apart?

Tayshan23 Fri 09-Oct-15 09:40:00

Hi @ROCKCHCK1984
I know it sounds ridiculous but I just wasn't sure how the system works
I don't want the state to provide for everything I detest being on benefits
As I've worked for as long as I've been old enough to, it's only since
I've moved here and had lil one that I thought it might be best to stop due to
Very high rent I thought I wouldn't be able to manage. Thank you for your advice

Tayshan23 Fri 09-Oct-15 09:47:05

Babyroobs
Ok my main worry was the housing benefit to be honest as this is temporary accommodation the rent is really high I hate to look like I'm rinsing the system ??...ok yeah I would be able to go back to work if he were to come and live with me, we use to live together but he's mother fell sick so he moved back home to help her as she couldn't work anymore & needed help paying her mortgage etc...

Terri1993 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:52:17

Hi guys please could u help me I am a single mum on income support child tax credit and child Benifit I thinking about getting back with my daughters dad he is self employed and brings home around 500 a week what will stop and what can I claim as I a renting a flat and not sure what money I going to lose thanks

bimbobaggins Sat 03-Dec-16 17:18:57

Hi Terri, £500 a week after tax is a fairly hefty income so not sure if you would be entitled to any extra benefits other than child benefit. Why would you expect to continue to receive benefits with that income

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now