Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Which type of plug-in heater is the cheapest to run?

(6 Posts)
BlockedPoster Wed 08-Dec-10 17:00:06

I need to buy a couple of plug-in heaters - I can swallow the cost of shelling out for them, but which is the cheapest to run? No sense in buying a cheap heater that costs me a fortune in electricity. So, which is cheapest to run, assuming all are 2kw heaters:

1) convection?

2) fan?

3) oil filled?

4) water filled?

And what are halogen heaters and are they any good? The reviews I've read indicate they heat whatever's directly in front of them only, and they tip over a lot, thus can be a fire hazard.

The alternative to plug-in heaters is a new boiler and central heating system. Several grand too much for our measley budget at the moment. sad

Calor gas/LPG are out for logistical reasons involving animals, small children, storage and clumsy partners. Especially clumsy partners.

Any tips for keeping our breath invisible indoors welcomed!

<adjusts balaclava>

barbarapym Wed 08-Dec-10 17:10:48

They are all quite expensive to run, but I think oil filled radiators are the best at heating a whole room and the most similar to having gch if you get decent sized ones, as the good ones come with timers and thermostats so will maintain a room at a comfortable temp. Fairly safe and portable as well. Fan heaters eat money and are only good for a quick blast to quickly take the chill off a room (eg before bed time or whatever ) imo. We used oil filled rads a lot when our house was being renovated and I still use one now and again in the kitchen. (I vaguely remember a thread on money saving expert about this and I think the oil filleds came off best.)

BlockedPoster Wed 08-Dec-10 17:13:15

Thanks - I thought that about fan heaters. I figured they're running a) a heating element and b) a motor.

I suppose an oil filled radiator retains and thus radiates heat even after it's switched off.

Though I expect no good for hanging your smalls on to dry, like a conventional radiator....

mumblechum Wed 08-Dec-10 17:14:01

I bought a couple in John Lewis a few weeks ago. I really wanted cool looking black fan heaters with flashing lights blush but the assistant told me that oil filled heaters are much cheaper to run so that's what I bought.

I have one under my desk as Itype. They don't look v ery nice and take a while to heat up but for background heat in bedrooms/studies etc they are pretty good.

barbarapym Wed 08-Dec-10 17:15:45

Actually we dried our small on them too..I'm sure you're not supposed to but it was hard to resist! And yes, they do retain heat much longer as they cool down.

BlockedPoster Wed 08-Dec-10 17:41:34

Brill - I think that's one decision made! Interesting about the knicker-drying.

Anyone know about halogen heaters, out of interest? I have failed to google much. But I think they sound expensive.

Right - Peter Jones here I come! Or, to be sensible, Tesco online. grin

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now