Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anyone know how long it takes for a road tax refund to get through?

(11 Posts)
Ponders Fri 19-Nov-10 19:24:54

I part exchanged my old car at the beginning of Nov & forget to take the old tax disc to send to Swansea for a refund (6 months, £90, worth having!). By the time I got home & rang the dealer (60 miles away) they had already removed it, filled in the form for me, & posted it confused

DVLA say allow 6 weeks before chasing, so maybe it does take that long, but I'm not 100% sure that the dealer was sufficiently literate to copy out my name & address exactly as it appeared on the reg document & the claim form says if you don't you don't get the refund & you don't get the tax disc back either.

Anybody know?

Salhal Fri 19-Nov-10 19:27:17

I've just had a refund after writing off my car and it did take about 6 weeks.

Ponders Fri 19-Nov-10 19:47:30

oh thanks, Salhal, that is reassuring smile

CrispyTheCrisp Fri 19-Nov-10 19:49:20

Mine took aboy 3 months after my car was stolen. Mind you that was after 4 attempts just to get hold of the refund form hmm

Ponders Fri 19-Nov-10 19:54:30

oh I had the form already Crispy, from the PO - filled in & ready to go - I just forgot to get the disc out of the car...

(as well as 4 euro coins which were in one of the door storage slots for some reason)
(& a leather steering wheel cover)
(& probably a few other bits & pieces too! I "emptied" the car before going to collect the new one, but a) forgot the driver's part of the car & b) should have made a list of what to do when I got there!)

CrispyTheCrisp Fri 19-Nov-10 20:07:57

You apparently need a different form if it has been stolen which are only available from DVLA. But not via their automated phone service. Which is their only service hmm. In the end i had to fill in a customer complaint form, just to request one hmm

Hope yours comes soon smile, although i don't fancy your chances of speaking to anyone to chase it up......

dolcegusto Fri 19-Nov-10 20:08:23

Funny you should post about this - I just got a road tax rebate through today - took 3 weeks.

Ponders Fri 19-Nov-10 20:15:45

oh that sounds like a PITA, Crispy - glad you managed to get it sorted in the end but how annoying & stupid that you couldn't get it any other way! angry

thanks, dolcegusto - my 3 weeks will be up around the middle of next week but apparently I can't chase it until another 3 weeks after that (so I hope I don't need to...they said they'd post my steering wheel cover back to me but they haven't hmm so I'm not filled with confidence!)

WestVirginia Sun 21-Nov-10 20:39:51

The dealer may have claimed it in his own name and address. Watch out for an argument with the dealer.

Ponders Mon 22-Nov-10 10:22:47

he couldn't do that, WV - the claim form has to match the details on the reg document (name & address) & the car has been reregistered to him as a dealer (as a temporary reg, not as an owner). Anyway they seemed straight enough (just a bit dim!)

If it hasn't come by the middle of the week I'll ring the dealer again & chase the wheel cover at the same time...

Ponders Wed 24-Nov-10 12:17:38

Yay, it arrived today - 3 weeks exactly I think (not sure if it was posted out on a Mon or a Tue) smile

now shall I bother chasing the steering wheel cover...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now