Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Problem with neighbour's visitors parking in our drive

(121 Posts)
80sbabe Mon 26-Nov-12 21:51:37

I'm wondering if anyone knows the legal stance on a neighbour using our drive for her own visitors ?
We live at the end of an open plan style cul de sac so nobody has fences or hedges. All the houses have off road garages with small drives in front of them.
We have a double garage which sits next to a single garage belonging to the bungalow opposite. It's clear on the house deeds that our house owns two garages and two driveway spaces. The boundary between the drives (which are tarmac) is and always has been marked by a thin paved line so you can see where one ends and another begins.
We bought the house from new and we also still have the original building plans and the marketing information which states the 4 bed homes have 2 garages and driveways and the 2 bed homes and bungalows have 1 garage and 1 drive each.
Last year a new neighbour (she's quite elderly and frail) moved into the bungalow opposite us and at least twice a week we return home to find she has her home help / carer parked in our drive.
This might not sound like a big problem, but our DS is physically disabled and a wheelchair user. He cannot walk at all and has very limited flexibility in his limbs. We need access across most of our double drive to open the car door wide enough to get DS out and into his wheelchair.
We have politely spoken to our neighbour, who really doesn't seem to see the issue. She sees no problem with me unloading my children (have 3 others as well as DS) on the road and parking further up the close until her visitor moves. As they refuse to move when asked I have had to do this at least a couple of times a week for a year.
It doesn't happen every day (I think her helper comes at different times and I am at work through the day) but it's really getting on my nerves and making life a bit more awkward than it needs to be.
Does anyone know if there is any legal action we can take regarding this ?
We don't want to fall out with the neighbour but don't see why we should be regularly inconvenienced by her.
Having looked around on various websites it seems there are laws against blocking someone in, but she isn't doing this, she's just preventing us getting onto our drive when we need to.
Sorry if this is a bit long but I wanted to make the situation about the layout as clear as possible.
Thanks if anyone has any advice.

choirmum Mon 26-Nov-12 21:54:47

Surely they're trespassing as it's your drive and they haven't been invited to use it?

Milliways Mon 26-Nov-12 21:55:37

Can you put a "Please don't obstruct the door" on the garage door? For all they know you could have a car in the garage that they have blocked in!

Do you have a friendly other neighbour who could park in that space (& move when asked) to make a point for a while?

Or buy a parking cone?

redlac Mon 26-Nov-12 21:57:26

I would contact the home helps employer if you can find out who they are. Alternatively just park up behind her and refuse to move when she wants out - let her phone the police if she wants as she is in the wrong not you

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 26-Nov-12 22:00:48

I would try a sign and some parking comes with 'Private Parking' strung between them so it ropes off your whole driveway. That might give them a clue.

Have you asked the person who's car it is? Can you catch them rather than the old lady and explain the problem? I'm sure nobody would deliberately make it awkward for you in your situation.

shopalot Mon 26-Nov-12 22:01:55

I would talk to the carer directly. The carer probably doesn't even know it is private property.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 26-Nov-12 22:02:23

Or park behind them. That's a much better suggestion.

nilbyname Mon 26-Nov-12 22:03:05

Well, you have already spoken to her, and her carer/helper. I would contract a solicitor and issue a letter (£100 ish) and then see what happened. Then I would pay for a pull up/lock up bollard thing and start locking my drive. Shit that you have to do it.

Is there any millage in just being a bit firmer with the helper/woman? Blocking them in and not letting them out when they request? (childish)

Sounds awful, sorry you have to deal with that especially as you have such a need for it.

80sbabe Mon 26-Nov-12 22:03:36

We've put a notice up already on our garage doors saying disabled access is required at all times - they ignore it.
Our close is quite small and the other neighbours, like us are out at work so I couldn't ask someone else to help.
The cone is an idea we could try - no harm in getting one and seeing if it works however I suspect it may just be moved along a bit ! I hadn't considered a cone as I thought they were only supposed to be used "on road".

RyleDup Mon 26-Nov-12 22:06:31

I would talk to the carer, if that fails, talk to her agency. And if that fails, block her in, or clamp her grin. put a sign up saying clamping in operation with a £50 release fee!! She won't do it again.

OnTheBottomWithAStringOfTinsel Mon 26-Nov-12 22:07:03

Can you look into building a v low wall (12 to 18 ins high, just a few bricks), or fence, along the boundary line, and putting in a gatepost and a cheapish gate?

(the wall/fence would be so that they couldn't just pull into the neighbour's drive and then across into yours)

It might be handy to have better boundary delineations for a future sale - you could use that as an excuse if asked! and if you meet the cost yourself they can't complain about anything.

(however check your deeds etc - if it's an open plan cul-de-sac there might be something about not putting in walls)

80sbabe Mon 26-Nov-12 22:10:21

I have spoken to the carer as well as the neighbour - they have both been present when I've knocked and asked for the car to be moved. Bottom line is they couldn't care less and won't move until they are ready to go.
I know I could play dirty back and block them in but, silly as it sounds, I don't want to play tit for tat.

80sbabe Mon 26-Nov-12 22:15:51

Onthebottom yes - the deeds do state we can't build walls or put in hedges between the drives so that isn't an option.

We live near a sports stadium and on some days, there are huge parking problems on my road. One of my neighbours was out for the day of the match final a couple of years ago and when people were frantically looking for parking spots, some teenagers told two drivers to park in X's driveway, that they were out for the day. Her driveway can take three cars. They came home from their day out to find two strange cars in their drive. They parked their car in behind the other two, blocking them in. The drivers came back from the match and knocked on their front door asking her to move her car to let them out. She told them they'd have to pay €80 (the equivilant to a the clamping fee here) to be let go. They rang the police, the police came and spoke to my neighbour to see what her side of the story was and then told the two drivers that they were on private property and she could charge them anything she wanted. They both paid her the €80 (each!!!) and she let them out.

I'm in Ireland but I'm guessing the law in the UK is the same. So block in the carer's car. Drive up to her bumper and don't answer the door foe several minutes when she knocks on the door.

AnneElliott Mon 26-Nov-12 22:22:25

That is really awful of them to do this. You're much more patient than me. If I find someone across my drive I sound the horn til the offender comes out and moves their car. That or I block them in. I think your options are, solicitors letter, lockable bollard or block them in and refuse to move. I would also have word with the carers employer. You could also park on her drive or get your visitors to do this.

mercibucket Mon 26-Nov-12 22:23:28

Oh just block her in. Then don't answer the door.

mercibucket Mon 26-Nov-12 22:23:28

Oh just block her in. Then don't answer the door.

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 26-Nov-12 22:27:47

Buy some sticky 'no parking' labels to stick on the driver's side of the windscreen, they are a pain to remove so she will find it less effort to park elsewhere.

80sbabe Mon 26-Nov-12 22:33:06

Well blocking her in does seem to be the general consensus doesn't it ?

I have knocked every time it's happened and I was working on the principle that they'd get sick of me turning up, take the hint and stop doing it.
My way clearly isn't working though so perhaps I'll have to change my mind and be hard faced back.

3littlefrogs Mon 26-Nov-12 22:36:13

Some people are so selfish.

My brother's neighbour's cleaner (if that makes sense) wouldn't move her car to let the ambulance pull up to the door in order to take my (very ill) brother to hospital.

You have to wonder whether these people have any brain cells at all.

3littlefrogs Mon 26-Nov-12 22:38:22

I would speak directly to the carer's employer and make it clear to them that she is obstructing essential access for a disabled person. They will be mortified.

MrsMushroom Mon 26-Nov-12 22:39:50

Put a cone there. Or a dustbin or some other large thing they would need to move. They'll get the picture.

VicarInaTutu Mon 26-Nov-12 22:40:59

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but blocking access to the highway is an offence and as such, if you do block her into to admittedly your drive, she could be the one calling the police.

i would look into doing what ever you can do before it comes to that.
i would call the agency the home carer works for.
i would lock the drive in any way possible - a pull up bollard or some such.
i would look at instigating legal proceedings for trespass (which is a civil matter and not criminal so you will need to consult a solicitor) but you may find that a sharply worded solicitors letter pointing out the drive is indeed your property might solve it....

it would annoy the bejesus out of me and i sympathise. but dont block her in unless youre prepared to be the one in the wrong.

Mintyy Mon 26-Nov-12 22:42:17

Where should she be parking her car, out of interest?

difficultpickle Mon 26-Nov-12 22:44:44

I would go to a local solicitor and ask them to write a cease and desist letter addressed to the homeowner cc to the carer's employer.

mercibucket Mon 26-Nov-12 22:45:00

Or you could always let down her tyres (joke)

My neighbours always block in anyone who parks in their drive. They don't do it twice.

mercibucket Mon 26-Nov-12 22:45:02

Or you could always let down her tyres (joke)

My neighbours always block in anyone who parks in their drive. They don't do it twice.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 26-Nov-12 22:45:11

Please come back and tell us what happened.

You're an inspiration to blocked in/out drivers everywhere!

RyleDup Mon 26-Nov-12 22:45:45

Oh yes brandishing. That is the answer. I parked on my university campus in the wrong spot, and got one of those extra sticky stickers that don't come off, for my troubles. I never ever parked there again!!!

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 26-Nov-12 22:48:53

Out of interest Vicar if the police were called and the OP said "oh, you want me to move my car? Why didn't you just ask?" And then moved her car, would the police be likely to take it any further?

mercibucket Mon 26-Nov-12 22:51:52

Ooh or a really horribly abusive message, as was left on my friend's car when she parked on the pavement. Name and shame

Is it the same carer every time? My mother has carers and the regular ones would not have to be asked twice about parking, but the agency also sends out random ones who are far less likely to remember or care about parking issues.

Cahooots Mon 26-Nov-12 22:54:02

**How about leaving some old kids toys on the driveway. It might dissuade the carer from parking there.
**What about bigger and blunter signs, with warnings that you WILL block anyone in if they park on your drive.
**What about sending a big bloke to have a chat with your nieghbour. To be honest you sound much too nice smile. I wouldn't suggest he do anything out of order but his stature may get the results you don't.
**What about making it obvious that you are videoing or taking photos of any offending cars. It might help put them off.

80sbabe Mon 26-Nov-12 22:54:12

VicarInaTutu thanks for making that clear, in that case I won't block her back next time.
I have no idea how I'd find out who her carer works for though as she doesn't have a sign or anything in her car and I doubt they'd tell me if I asked.
I did wonder if it would come under civil rather than criminal law so the police wouldn't be much help to me.

Mintyy The elderly neighbour parks her car on her drive so the carer can't use that. However there is always space further up the close - the place I have to leave my car when she's on my drive !

Thanks to you all for answering me - I appreciate it probably all sounds a bit petty and there are much bigger problems in life than having to park up the road and then move a car twice a week or so.
It's just annoying that I can't come home with the children, pull into our own drive, and be done with it.

Cahooots Mon 26-Nov-12 22:55:51

You could turn your sprinklers on when the carer is returning to her car. grin

Cahooots Mon 26-Nov-12 22:58:01

80sBabe. You mustn't think this is a petty issue. You paid for that driveway! It may not be a life or death but it certainly isn't petty.

exexpat Mon 26-Nov-12 22:59:21
VicarInaTutu Mon 26-Nov-12 23:00:37

bran - not likely, no. if i were called to this i would groan just want to make sure no criminal offences were being committed. often PCSOs are called to neighbour disputes rather than PCs. thank god neighbour disputes take up alot of time and energy, and in the current climate there are just not enough PCs really to deal - as it is if she were to call police it may be an hour or so before anyone arrives - longer if the problem is solved first.


BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 26-Nov-12 23:00:53

My university campus is where I came across the stickers too Ryle. grin

These would do the trick IMO.

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 26-Nov-12 23:03:04

X-post with exexpat.

Thanks Vicar. grin. Nobody really wants to do the paperwork for something trivial like that do they?

80sbabe Mon 26-Nov-12 23:04:17

Are those stickers legal though ? Although they sound like a good idea I wouldn't want to be the one in trouble for criminally damaging their car if they complained.

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 26-Nov-12 23:07:13

They can be removed so don't actually damage the windscreen or window, they just take a hell of a lot of effort. If you were worried about it you could put it on a rear window which wouldn't affect her ability to drive the car.

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 26-Nov-12 23:08:02

I meant back seat window rather than rear windscreen, a bit unclear sorry.

I think if I could afford it I would be tempted to fit one of those driveway security bollards. But if they have the brassneck to refuse to get off your drive when asked they may just block your drive instead.

Sleepyfergus Mon 26-Nov-12 23:10:31

What's the situation regarding those stickers? (The really adhesive ones). Could the driver claim damages if they can't remove it? Even if they are in the wrong and parked on your private drive?

Tbh, I can't get over the nerve of some people. Good luck OP, hope it gets sorted soon.

VicarInaTutu Mon 26-Nov-12 23:10:41


if they do permanent damage you could be onto a sticky wicket....if the carer does not know its your drive then she is surely the innocent party in this. i would not damage her car by using a permanent glue. if its the same carer can you not have a word of photocopy a note to put on the car?

i would really try to find a less permanent solution first. technically yes - if you damage her car permanently it is criminal damage.

is it always the same carer?

Sleepyfergus Mon 26-Nov-12 23:11:18

Oops, xpost.

sicutlilium Mon 26-Nov-12 23:12:32

Surely you have an old piece of furniture that needs to be spray-painted out on the front lawn...

RyleDup Mon 26-Nov-12 23:13:35

Hmm, wonder if you were at the same uni as me brandishing, or whether those stickers are standard issue across all universities. Mine got stuck onto the drivers side. So I had to get it off before I could drive away. Nightmare.

RyleDup Mon 26-Nov-12 23:14:37

You can get them off. It just takes a while, and a bit of elbow grease.

OnTheBottomWithAStringOfTinsel Mon 26-Nov-12 23:15:04

I'm sure there is some way to remove those really sticky stickers (some sort of wallpaper scraper type of contraption that they use when redecorating shop windows, and perhaps nail varnish remover/acetone)?

So long as you put the sticker on the glass (and were sure it could be removed) then it won't damage the paintwork.

Of course you'd want to be sure 1) that the carer knows for definite that it is YOUR driveway and she shouldn't be on it and 2) that she wouldn't have the stuff to remove the sticker immediately to hand - after all the point is to embarrass her so that she doesn't do it again, and driving off with a humongous sticker saying "Don't park here" should do it!

BRANdishingMistletoe Mon 26-Nov-12 23:17:27

I think it's standard university issue Ryle. In my case it was doubly annoying as I had broken down, managed to push it to the side of the road so a not to block traffic and gone to the pay phone to call my Dad. It took longer to scrape off the flipping sticker than to fix the car.

HanSolo Mon 26-Nov-12 23:24:16

Your son cannot walk, and the carer is denying you access to your own drive?

Formal complaint to whomever supplies the home help.

Good luck- what an awful situation.

80sbabe Mon 26-Nov-12 23:24:52

Yes it's the same carer each time and yes she is fully aware that it's our drive and that she doesn't have permission to park there.
I have also explained to her and the neighbour the situation with DS and his wheelchair, though they have also seen him in it so they know.
If DS is having a bad day it can sometimes take him 10 minutes or more to manoeuvre out of the car so it's a time consuming process - worse if the weather is bad. I can't just pick him up and lift him out as he's 13 and too heavy for me.

ThePoppyAndTheIvy Mon 26-Nov-12 23:25:12

As a community care worker myself, I would imagine what is happening here is that the old lady has told her carer that she can park on "the drive opposite", meaning her own drive & the carer has misunderstood.

After you speaking to her, she most probably told the old lady that a woman had told her she couldn't park on the drive. If the old lady was under the impression she was talking about her drive, she no doubt would have reassured the carer that she should park there.

That said, I would be every bit as pissed off as you and from the layout you describe, the carer must be being a bit thick to not realise it is actually your drive!

I would contact the care provider (the company), saying that if their carer parks on your drive again you will block her in & she will be late for all of her subsequent calls. Failing that, would a PCSO come and have a word?

ThePoppyAndTheIvy Mon 26-Nov-12 23:26:40

Sorry x-post. I now see that the carer does not misunderstand the situation.

She is a cheeky cow. Plain and simple.

VicarInaTutu Mon 26-Nov-12 23:35:38

if you have asked her, and its the same woman each time then i say fair game. use the stickers.
and anything else legal. ish.

Marrow Mon 26-Nov-12 23:44:31

I rather like these stickers wink

noblegiraffe Mon 26-Nov-12 23:44:59

Put your bins in the middle of your driveway so if she wants to park there it's a faff? Might be enough to put her off.

clam Mon 26-Nov-12 23:48:58

If you were to block her in and then refuse to move, I can see that she might be able to report you. But if you do agree to let her out, albeit it taking your time about it, then she wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I think you're being remarkably patient about this. I would have gone bananas after the first time!

CointreauVersial Mon 26-Nov-12 23:53:01

If it were me, I'm afraid a red mist would have long since descended, and I would have let rip with the inconsiderate parker. Can they not see how it's causing you problems?

TheFarSide Mon 26-Nov-12 23:55:09

I agree, OP, you have been far too understanding. If it goes on much longer, they'll be claiming right of way/custom and practice or something, so I think you need to deal with it.

brighthair Tue 27-Nov-12 00:00:31

I had a similar problem with people using my numbered parking space. I tried asking politely and putting notes on etc
Eventually I lost the plot and blocked them in, took the intercom off the hook and had a long bath. He never parked there again. Or I blocked them in and leant on my horn. Or went to the front door and told them to move now. When she refused I said I would just block her in and would be moving at 8am the next morning
I had to get harsh, my parking space was becoming a visitor one, I own it and I need access for coming home from work at 3am or I have to walk up a road with no lighting

MsHighwater Tue 27-Nov-12 00:00:32

I would certainly have consulted the police long since if an able bodied carer was knowingly and persistently blocking access for my disabled child. Or a solicitor or the local paper, perhaps. I'm certain i would have blocked her car, too. I'm astonished that you've put up with it for so long.

The carer might not be from an agency; she could be employed directly.

Hope you get it sorted.

brighthair Tue 27-Nov-12 00:01:27

Also (and not being girlie at all here) I found a hefty looking bloke worked wonders. Don't ask them to move, tell them. "You are on my property, I need you to move your car now"

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 27-Nov-12 00:03:31

How about blocking her in, and letting her wait the same amount of time as you must wait for her to vacate your property?

Any chance you can have her car towed to the car pound?

steppemum Tue 27-Nov-12 00:06:05

I think you should post a large notice saying this is private property and that parking here costs £50. Then block her in and politely say that she owes you £50, and you can't move your car until it is paid. Photograph her car there with the sign.

Then wait it out and see what happens!!

Seriously, it is time to put this is writing. If you don't want to start with solicitor, then write a polite clear letter yourself. Say clearly it is private property and she does not have the right to park there, and there are available places, state why the parking is a concern.
Then say that if the parking persists, you will be sending a solicitors letter and contacting her employer. Give a copy to the old lady and one to the carer.

Normally I would be very loathe to escalate neighbourhood disputes, but I think the issue of your ds is key here. She is being unbelievably selfish.

Viviennemary Tue 27-Nov-12 00:16:43

I have seen some people put up a kind of chain between two poles across the driveway rather than a gate or wall. Or some other way to block access. This must be extremely irritating for you. Can't believe the carer takes no notice. Good idea about finding out who the carer works for and report them.

Some people are just so inconsiderate! You mentioned having 3 more kids, perhaps they'd like to have a mud fight on your drive the next time the carer parks there? Perhaps a paint fight the next time it happens, if the mud fight didn't get the message across? I cannot imagine that the carer would have any legal recourse if YOUR children spill paint on YOUR driveway while her car happens to be illegally parked there.

FWIW I think you would still be 100% in the right even if your DS was fully able-bodied - the drive is YOUR property and you have not given your neighbour permission to loan it out to her carer! Given your DS's mobility needs however, the mind boggles at the selfishness of both the neighbour and the carer. Truly shocking, and you shouldn't be forced to put up with it!

RedHelenB Tue 27-Nov-12 07:48:05

Put a MASSIVE warning note up about clamping of vehicles on private property & clamp her!

nilbyname Tue 27-Nov-12 07:51:45

You need to block her in, have a bit of a stern word with her!

Then issue a solicitors letter. You can get her address from the drivers licence?

clam Tue 27-Nov-12 19:03:49

Do you keep your wheelie bins anywhere nearby? Could you not park them slap-bang in the middle of the drive?

Sleepyfergus Wed 28-Nov-12 08:42:05

I would speak to your local police station, see if they'll have a polite wee word with the woman and her carer. The uniform may be enough to shame them into behaving. Then if that fails, slap them with a lawyers letter. And if they ignore that, then perhaps photographs if them blatantly ignoring you, her car parked on your drive etc, to the local paper. Name and shame.

Near my mums, a resourceful neighbour once put up laminated pictures of a persistent owner of a dog that used to shit in the street and the owner never used to pick it up. Soon stopped after that!

MaxPepsi Wed 28-Nov-12 14:57:08

Another here who thinks you should block the carer in.

I'd let her call the police too, but I'm stubborn that way.

I'd also actively encourage the children to play out near the car, and throw things to each other over the top.

Chopstheduck Wed 28-Nov-12 15:00:45

what about a row of pots with plants down the border line? bit smaller than wheelie bins, but hopefulyl they wouldnt drive over them.

quietlysuggests Wed 28-Nov-12 15:13:22

I would take her photo and send it in to my local radio station and newspaper and do an "appeal" for peple to identify her and shame her into stopping.
I wouldn't actually, I would block her in with bags and bags of cement/ compost etc whatever is really heavy to lift but it doesn't matter if she drives into them.

Does your son have an old wheelchair that he's grown out of, that you could leave in the middle of the drive, as if you're going to stop the car and help your DS into it?

As an alternative, could you employ the use of anti-vandal paint on the drive so it gets on her / her tyres, or to be really mean, start parking in the old lady's parking space when she's out?

UnacceptableAmountOfSherry Wed 28-Nov-12 15:40:49

80sbabe You've said you can't build a wall but what about little posts with chain?
I've tried to find a photo from our old house but can't, sorry.

We weren't allowed fencing or brick walls but a few properties on the street had little wooden posts with white chain between to sort of 'define' their property IYSWIM

ratbagcatbag Wed 28-Nov-12 15:42:51

Im in the block her in camp and then ignore the door for about ten minutes, (or longer if I was in bad mood). This is just completely unnacceptable.

Grrrr for you

UnacceptableAmountOfSherry Wed 28-Nov-12 15:43:29

Found similar...I mean this sort of thing

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 28-Nov-12 15:48:46

Get one of [],or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=1f4659efd3e455e2&bpcl=38897761&biw=1431&bih=793 these]]

We've got one. It can be removed without the driveway looking damaged. It's criminal damage if people try to put it down, and it stops people parking in my space. I desperately need my space, as I can't walk far, so your son must really need yours. You can get some okay deals on them, and it'll solve your problem once and for all.

EldritchCleavage Wed 28-Nov-12 15:48:49

I think you can block her in and make her wait to be released. I find it very hard to believe that, if you described it as you have to us, any PC or PCSO would want to process a complaint against you by the carer.

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 28-Nov-12 15:49:08

You are being very restrained.

kittycat68 Wed 28-Nov-12 18:51:52

type up a parking charge notice and put it on her windscreen. Keep a copy. If she fails to pay or parks there again take photos and put up another parking charge notice each time, then take her to small claims court. I would also send copies to her employers too if you can find out who they are.

80sbabe Sat 01-Dec-12 22:00:06

Well what I have done is contact our solicitor who handled the purchase for us, she is quite happy to write a letter which would cost around £75 + VAT. In her opinion a legal letter pointing out the trespass would probably be enough to put a stop to the carer parking on our drive.
However, she recommended that before giving her instructions I should check my house insurance in case the legal cover on it includes neighbour disputes and if so to talk to them first as it could be a cheaper option.
I have checked our policy and we are covered so I will contact the insurance company on Monday and see what they say. If they can't help we'll go back to our own solicitor as we think it's probably worth paying to try and put a stop to it.
I will let you know how I get on and thanks again for all your advice and suggestions - it's been much appreciated.

TheFarSide Sun 02-Dec-12 10:20:14

Excellent - thanks for the update.

Chopstheduck Mon 03-Dec-12 09:14:50

You really shouldn't be having to pay a solicitor for this. It's basic law, and you should easily be able to draw up your own letter explaining the legal ramifications if they continue trespassing. I wonder if the CAB could help you?

Sausagedog27 Mon 03-Dec-12 10:24:03

Good luck op!

cfc Wed 05-Dec-12 03:07:33

A quick one, am bf newborn - did your sol explain disclosure of disputes with neighbours when selling home in future?

blibbleflop Wed 05-Dec-12 09:46:03

It would be a shame if you'd allowed your child to play Bob The Builder and left a load of nails all over the drive... shock

SabinatheBallerina Thu 06-Dec-12 11:26:59

I would just go out and let their tires down. They will soon learn!

Collaborate Thu 06-Dec-12 12:17:47

That is classed as theft, as any 1st year law student will tell you.

Gosh but you're a nice person 80sbabe and it sounds like you're handling it beautifully. I reckon your course of action has been perfect - Solicitor's letter, then bollard, and if the bollard is damaged, police.

What an inconsiderate pair your neighbour and her so-called 'carer' are.

innoparticularorder Thu 06-Dec-12 12:51:33

What a nightmare for you, you shouldn't have to explain why you need to use YOUR DRIVE more then her carer, it's your drive!

Fwiw I have similar problems with my neighbours they have a drive which fits 3 cars but that's not enough for them apparently, when they have visitors they just tell them to use ours. But its not every week like you and at least when I ask them to move they apologise most of the time.

Collaborate Thu 06-Dec-12 12:54:40

I used to work in an office where there was very limited parking out the front.

Someone lived in the flat above the office and had the right to park there overnight but had to have moved it by 8am. One morning I arrived at the office at 9.30. there was no on-street parking. The tenant hadn't moved his car. I merely parked behind his car and went about my business. When he wanted to move his car I was in a client meeting, so he had to wait for an hour. He never did it again.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 06-Dec-12 13:02:48

It's a bit of an expensive solution but you could try something like this as a solution. You could spend as much in solicitor's letters, so I think this might work out easier, and prevents anyone from parking there in your absence.

Lemonylemon Thu 06-Dec-12 14:53:18

Or one of these.....

I was going to get one to stop my next door neighbour parking her car on my front garden to wash it..... without asking permission.

3littlefrogs Sat 08-Dec-12 10:26:12

Personally I would go for the parking post, because of the dispute disclosure issue.

olgaga Sat 08-Dec-12 14:05:35

This is what you want - there are different types. Would obviously have to have the housing fitted, but it would definitely solve your problem.

rhibutterfly Sun 16-Dec-12 23:21:20

80s babe how did it all end? X

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 17-Dec-12 09:22:33

I'm intrigued to know what happened next too...?

MariahScarey Mon 17-Dec-12 09:25:16

lol at theft.
i dont think so.

baffledmum Mon 17-Dec-12 21:04:29

I haven't read the whole thread but this used to happen to me and my husband in a cul-de-sac. Without indicating there was a problem we wrote to the Land Registry asking them to confirm what the deeds indicated but it was written simply: Please confirm to which property the land marked in red belongs. The Registry confirmed that the driveway belonged to us. We photocopied the letter and the deeds and went to see our neighbour. We started off by saying, "You probably aren't aware..." but they said they were! In that case, we said, keep off! They never spoke to us again but it was worth it! Good luck.

RandomMess Mon 17-Dec-12 21:15:06

Hope you've got it sorted.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 17-Dec-12 21:21:39

Not sure they'll pay any attention to a solicitors letter if they don't even listen when you ask them. Can't believe the nerve of some people.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 17-Dec-12 21:22:02

bollardcould a couple of these help?

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 17-Dec-12 21:29:29

My sister had this problem, couple of pop up bollards did the job.

nickymanchester Wed 19-Dec-12 11:44:56


i hate to be the bearer of bad news but blocking access to the highway is an offence and as such, if you do block her into to admittedly your drive, she could be the one calling the police.

The first part of what Vicar says is correct to an extent. However, the second part isn't.

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago.

We blocked the offending car in and left a note on the windscreen with our telephone number.

The person concerned then called the police and tried to get them to move our car. But, as they found out, there is nothing the police can do except to ask nicely that we move our car.

We said that we would move it five hours later as we weren't in the area. However, if you do give a time then you must ensure that they are free to leave at that time.

I never thought of charging a fee as someone said above. Perhaps I'll remember that for next time.

But, tbh, there never was a next time after we did that. The person involved got the message.

MOSagain Wed 19-Dec-12 12:20:42

I agree with vicar who is a police officer and therefore would have a better idea on how it would be handled in her area. It may well be that in other areas the police would deal with it differently and may not 'be bothered' with an obstruction but technically, deliberately blocking a car in is an offence and anyone doing it could expect to receive a ticket.

nickymanchester Wed 19-Dec-12 19:53:13


I have no idea who Vicar is. For all I know she/he may well be a police officer as you say. If they are then I am sure that they are a very efficient and knowledgeable member of their force.

However, just because one is a police officer does not necessarily mean that one has a full or correct understanding of all aspects of all laws.

In the past, I have found it necessary to correct police officers on two separate occasions when they were unaware of certain laws.

Also, the DH of a friend of mine has regularly to inform police officers about what the law actually says in connection with the specific field that he works in as quite a few of them are totally unaware of the actual legal situation.

With regard to this situation, it really wasn't about the police not being bothered, I would suggest that it is about a proper understanding of different laws and how they interact with one another.

Here's a little hint for you, you need to consider where the other car is and what the owner of the other car has to do in order to get access to his vehicle.

MOSagain Thu 20-Dec-12 08:04:13

Well, if you live in an area where the police are that inefficient, I'd suggest you move to another county. Vicar is a police officer and for what its worth (probably nothing to you as you clearly know everything about everything) I am a former police officer and am now a lawyer so I do like to think I do know just a little bit about the law.

MOSagain Thu 20-Dec-12 10:08:53

sorry, on re-reading that sounds rude which was not intended. I'm just shock that the police in your area could be that bad. Of course when at police training school they don't learn all aspect of law, ie family law which would be useful when dealing with disputes but one would expect them to know the basics of road traffic law.

nickymanchester Fri 21-Dec-12 00:41:31

MOSagain I certainly don't claim to know everything about everything - far from it. I'm always pestering people trying to learn something new.

I also certainly wasn't trying to knock the police as I do have a great deal of respect for them. Which, if you knew my background, you might be a bit surprised about.

However, I have learnt from experience that what a police officer says is not always correct. Certainly in my limited dealings with them.

I can only speak from my personal experience.

Although I don't believe that it has clouded my judgement in any way, when I was a lot younger - in my teens - I was a rather vociferous protester on a certain issue and, as such, saw another side of the police to that which perhaps most on MN get to see.

sashh Sat 22-Dec-12 11:53:54

I had this with my neighbour accross the rd, and she has a drive and no car!

I cam home to find the carer's car in my drive so I couldn't get in - I parked 2 inches from her back bumper, there was no way she could get out without asking me to move my car.

She has not done it since, she now parks on the road outside the place she is working.

DorisIsWaiting Sat 22-Dec-12 12:31:53

Rather than paying £75 and have a neigbourhood dispute you would have to declare. Phone 101 for advice ask them what their likely action would be if you blocked the individual in. Our PCSO are very approachable and give that it is trespass and you have a diabled son that is impacted they would look fairly tolerantly on the situation.

ImperialSantaKnickers Sat 22-Dec-12 12:41:45


ZenNudist Sat 22-Dec-12 13:02:21

I think OP not come back because she's still not done anything about it. If confrontations not your thing then it's hard to resolve situations like this. The MN way is to want to see problems dealt with, we are all incensed for OP and want to see her get her rightful own way on this. Sadly life's not like that. angry

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 22-Dec-12 16:50:20

how rude of the neighbour and carer shock

next time it happens i would take a photo and then call police or even the council and say this car had been left on your private driveway and you need it moved now - surely they would come and tow or clamp it

can you park your car at an angle to try and use both spaces?

if not then i would get a friends car /or yours and park it right behind them and then go out for the day/few hours

i cant believe that nothing can be done for someone parking on your property

i would FLIP angry if someone kept doing that

PickledGerkin Sat 22-Dec-12 21:02:02

I know this has been rumbling on for a while, but if it were me, I would ring 101 and speak directly to the police to ask their advice.

That way you know exactly how it would be dealt with if that particular officer attended. I would get the name and badge number of the officer so that if someone else attended and advised me differently you can come back with that.

It is difficult to confront people in real life. But I am sure you could have a friend park directly behind said carer and claim to not know it was someone else's car you were blocking in grin

tb Fri 28-Dec-12 22:32:08

We lived in an 11'6" unadopted road at the time between 1992 and 1996, and non-residents parking badly were a complete pain so I was sorely tempted by something I read about in the motoring pages of the Saturday Telegraph. From memory, it was a pack of polite 'please don't park' stickers, but with 3 grades of glue - mild, medium and extreme. The extreme sticker had very strong glue on the back, couldn't be peeled off once stuck, and had to be picked off in little tiny bits.

The thought kept me happy for ages, but I never got them grin

Might be worth an email to honestjohn at the telegraph, and they might be able to give you details if they're still available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now