Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Does a landlord have to provide an cooker/microwave in an unfurnished property?

(21 Posts)

A friend of mine rents an unfurnished house and told me it doesn't have an oven, not even a microwave.
I thought that a landlord has to provide something for the tenant to cook with, even if it is a mini-hob.

Have I made this up or should she have a cooker or microwave available to her?

cluckyagain Thu 24-Sep-09 17:13:23

Cooker I thought - I'm a landlord and we had to.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 24-Sep-09 17:30:03

I have rented a place without a cooker, it was about 8 years ago though and rerhaps the rules have changed.

scaryteacher Thu 24-Sep-09 17:38:18

My house which is let has a range which also does the heating and hot water. As you can cook on it, I refused to install an electric cooker.

I don't provide white goods either. It depends what is in the inventory and what the Letting Agent recommends the landlord leaves.

cluckyagain Thu 24-Sep-09 17:45:34

We have a management agent and we have to provide a cooker and fridge - don't know it it's their rules or 'unfurnished letting' rules.

Notquitegrownup Thu 24-Sep-09 17:49:31

We have just rented out a flat unfurnished and I had to beg the management agency to let us keep the cooker in there. The tenant and the management agent expected us to clear out everything that wasn't screwed down. We had to take away the microwave but luckily the tenant didn't have a cooker, and saved us having to stagger down the stairs with the old (nearly brand new) one.

LIZS Fri 25-Sep-09 08:33:37

No obligation afaik. It would require safety certification so in some ways it may be easier for lnadlord not to. Unfurnished can literally be just that and your friend presumably knew what was included (or not) when he/seh signed the lease. I certainly would n't expect a microwave as standard since they are cheap enough to buy and portable.

ChopsTheDuck Fri 25-Sep-09 08:37:12

council houses never supply cookers or any white goods. It's def not an obligation, and like lizs said, they then require regular checks.

I think it's better without really. Ours came with a cooker, microwave and dishwasher. They were all shite adn we have to store them in our outhouse so that we could put our own appliances in.

Really - I honestly thought that a rental property had to have something to be able to heat food with with, perhaps they did and the law changed.

I can see why safety checks and so on would mean some landlords would prefer not to. I guess I am lucky with mine.

Heebeejeebee Fri 25-Sep-09 10:41:35

As I understood it, a landlord's obligations under a furnished property (never mind unfurnished) is legally only to provide a bed (though i can't see you would successfully rent it out like that!) so I would have said no for an unfurnished property needing to have an oven

KnickersandVests Fri 25-Sep-09 10:47:16

Here's another different story just to confuse smile

We rent out an unfurnished flat but our management agency said even with unfurnished it's standard to leave white goods.

I think it's probably best if you can negotiate with your tenant. If your tenant has a cooker then you obviously don't need to provide one, the same with everything else in the property.

With longterm leases you'll find tenants have accrued lots of their own furniture and will want to use it and that may include a cooker and a fridge etc.

To get a good tenant with a nice long contract you need to be flexible about what you'll leave and take out.

Landlords don't have to provide a cooker or a microwave in an unfurnished house.

hullygully Fri 25-Sep-09 10:48:14

No.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 25-Sep-09 22:41:24

I rent unfurnished, and am in my third rented home. Each has had a cooker and a dishwasher. shock One had two cookers, an oil-fired Aga which went on in September and off in May, and an electric one for the summer.

None has ever had a fridge, washing machine or tumble-drier, or any other "white" goods.

floatyjosmum Sat 26-Sep-09 16:44:32

ive always rented unfurnished and have always had a cooker except when we were in a council house 10 yrs ago.
rented 5 properties privately since and theyve all had cookers and one a dishwasher but this was integrated so prob wud hve made more mess to get it out.
woudnt alwys expect it tho as landlords would be liable for their upkeep etc aswell as safety checks

Flamesparrow Sat 26-Sep-09 16:51:50

My cooker has never had a safety check....

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Sep-09 17:17:40

My cooker (electric) has never had a safety check, but the boiler (oil fired) is checked and serviced annually. Last house had a gas cooker, it was never checked either.

mmrsceptic Sat 26-Sep-09 17:24:04

We supply white goods, never occurred to us to take them out. You need a gas safety check but leccy check is recommended only, not required, so if electric oven it doesn't have to be checked.

Definitely not a microwave. We did once and it's just hassle. Furnished is hassle.

She should have spotted it earlier or checked earlier. The letting agent is at fault, or she is at fault, for not checking the spec.

Flamesparrow Sat 26-Sep-09 17:47:40

Ah, tis an elec oven, so all is well.

LissyGlitter Sat 26-Sep-09 18:02:11

I have always had a cooker and a fridge at least.

One tip: make sure you get an inventory, even in an unfurnished house. A couple of houses back, our washing machine broke, and the landlord refused to mend it as he said it was only there as a token of goodwill and was nothing to do with him. So we bought our own, which of course we took with us when we left. He then took money out of our deposit for "stealing" his washing machine!

expatinscotland Sat 26-Sep-09 18:06:57

What with how insecure private lets are, there's no way I'd be willing to haul my own white goods round with me!

That said, I have had to put up with utterly shite cookers for years.

The one we have now is by far the worst.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now