Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Solicitors letters with spelling errors

(7 Posts)
kissmethere Tue 08-Nov-16 21:32:28

My DM is part owner of a house left to her and her sisters from DGMs will. Her sisters are in another country and my DM is here in the U.K.
So they've decided to put the house on the market and now have a buyer. All that is left to do is sign documents and have a solicitor here to witness her and my DF signature which I think should be all straight forward. So, the solicitor in her home town has written to her as they are taking care of things and the documents and covering have several errors, including part of DMs address & aunts address. The solicitor here in the U.K. advised her that there were also some errors in the way the document is worded and certain information from the buyer should have been included. They would not witness signatures until these errors had been corrected.
So far so boring, thanks if you've read to here.
So I've written back on DMs behalf stating the advice and we've received an arsey letter back with the only correction being on their cover letter of the part of address. The other documents still have the incorrect spelling. Also my parents have to state their date if marriage and they've left a space to fill in the the day and year but not the month!
They have said these documents are standard documents but it seems they haven't even bothered to take on board any of the issues or correct the wrong spelling which we've raised. Honestly, they're crap and this isn't the first issue we've had with them over the years with their attitude and administration. DM now feels under pressure to just sign it as the arsey letter that they'd like this "dealt with immediately" and her sister even admitted she didn't even read it and just signed what she had to sign! Her witness to signature was this F ing solicitor from her hometown!
So, would you have this signed and returned or ask them again to correct their F ing mistakes and show some professionalism and competence?

UrethaFranklin Wed 09-Nov-16 10:57:58

If you want the sale completed quickly, just sign it and return it and use different solicitors in future. Is it worth all the hassle of getting mistakes corrected?

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 09-Nov-16 15:13:53

So was the document prepared abroad then (and is therefore in their second language - English)? If so the solicitor in the UK cannot really comment on what wording the document should have and what should be included unless they are qualified in that country also.

As regards the gap for date - it is quite usual to say, eg [ blank ] 20--

Your would put the day and month in the blank. Also if it is a word processed document the gap would stretch to fit both IYSWIM

It sounds very much to me that all that was needed over here was a solicitor to witness a signature and the solicitor over here has got over involved. PS I am a solicitor (currently non-practising).

OzzieFem Wed 09-Nov-16 16:34:06

Are you sure they actually ARE solicitors and not some scam artists?

kissmethere Wed 09-Nov-16 21:05:48

Thanks for your replies. The solicitor is the family solicitor who took care of GMs will. English speaking country.
I've spoken to a couple of solicitors today and if we want them to look over it all there will be a fee. To witness a signature is a very small fee so yes, is it worth it? Although if the solicitor does have an issue with all these mistakes it's unfair for my mum to fork out to make a point.

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 12-Nov-16 20:14:46

I'm not a property solicitor but as a general rule unless the misspellings etc actually affect the meaning of the document (eg. the incorrect addresses make it difficult to say where the person lives) I'd get on with it. It's annoying and not huget professional but ultimately this sort of work is very low margin so I'm not suroused they're resistant to doing more than the bare minimum.

I'm also a bit surprised the solicitor here refused to witness as if they're only witnessing then all they are saying is that they saw your DM sign - there's no need for them to give a view on (or even see!) what's in the document.

kissmethere Mon 14-Nov-16 08:45:25

Thanks for the replies.
We've got an appointment with a property solicitor on Tuesday now. It's too much if a palava to ask a solicitor to respond on DMs behalf and the cost that will incur. DM has to go with DF with I.D etc.
I think this has been too much for DM as her siblings just want the money, understandably, but it's not about that for DM.
We always said we'd love to keep the house in the family but sadly that's not possible.
Really appreciate all the advice. The documents will be witnessed and we want this to be the last time we ever have to deal with the families incompetent solicitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now