Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Sale of goods act - vintage ring

(14 Posts)
RamblinRosie Sun 06-Nov-16 02:16:49

Yesterday was my birthday, DH bought me a stunning ring, a diamond surrounded by tiny emeralds , it was a major birthday and wedding anniversary, ring was vintage, from a reputable local jewellers.

Wore it home, showed it to my sister, half an hour later I saw one of the tiny emeralds had disappeared, I spent an hour searching, no sign.

Ring was bought on Barclaycard.

Am distraught, this is the most expensive thing I've ever owned.

Am I covered by the Sale of Goods Act?

prh47bridge Sun 06-Nov-16 09:25:12

The Sale of Goods Act has been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act. The goods must be fit for purpose, must match any description that is given and must be of satisfactory quality given its age. As your husband was the purchaser he is covered rather than you.

The ring is fit for purpose and presumably matches the description. If there is a dispute it is likely to hinge on whether this fault is to be expected in a ring of this age.

RamblinRosie Mon 07-Nov-16 00:10:11

Thanks prh47bridge, much appreciated.

OK, so no simple answer, do we approach our home insurance first or go back to the jewellers?

I would expect the jewellers to have checked that the stones were stable on a vintage piece of that price, I didn't knock it or do anything untoward, far from it, I was so careful of it.

legotits Mon 07-Nov-16 00:13:02

I would try insurers.

A vintage item will never have been tested to today's standards.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 07-Nov-16 00:16:02

I've had minor sapphires like that replaced for between £30 and £60 before. I would take it back and ask them to repair it as a goodwill gesture first though, as the stone was lost so soon after DH bought it.

It being vintage though - a) they didn't manufacture it and b) as an older piece it will have likely had a fair bit of wear.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Mon 07-Nov-16 00:19:37

It's secondhand... used goods. That was known when purchased I assume

Neither you nor the retailer would know its history

prh47bridge Mon 07-Nov-16 09:36:07

do we approach our home insurance first or go back to the jewellers?

I would try the jewellers first. They may be willing to repair as it is so soon after purchase. If not I would go to your insurers unless there is real reason to believe the ring is in worse condition than you would expect given its age.

LimpidPools Mon 07-Nov-16 09:45:38

Oh come on, it's not unreasonable to expect a jeweller to have tested the settings before selling a vintage piece.
It was bought from a shop, not a car boot sale.

OP, of course you/your husband should complain to the retailer. You never know, their service may even be better than the bare legal minimum.

Meanwhile, if you only wore it inside the house, have you tried the stocking trick? Put a stocking or popsock over the nozzle of your hoover. Then hoover around and check everything that catches in the sock. Hopefully you'll find the stone that way.

RamblinRosie Mon 07-Nov-16 15:57:52

Good news!

I've spoken to the jewellers and they've said to take it in and they will repair it and check the settings of the other stones. No quibble at all.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the stocking trick.

legotits Mon 07-Nov-16 16:04:48

Great news.

It's a nice change when you don't have to battle to get customer service!

prh47bridge Mon 07-Nov-16 16:17:20

Excellent news. Glad it is all sorted.

mintthins Mon 07-Nov-16 16:23:20

That's lovely! And a handy tip for when tiny things get lost.

McBassyPants Mon 07-Nov-16 16:25:11

Was it an independent jewellers? I find independent, local jewellers to be much more amenable and willing to provide that extra level to look after customers

RamblinRosie Sun 18-Dec-16 00:32:34

Update:

I just got my ring back, sorted, as an apology they also gave me a pair of earrings and a posh jewellery box. I hope mumsnet HQ don't mind, but Jacobs Reading really rock!!

Seriously good customer service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now