Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is ii expected that you leave wall cupboards behind when you sell

(11 Posts)
hooliodancer Tue 01-Nov-16 16:55:59

I posted on Property about wanting to take a bathroom vanity unit (freestanding but plumbed in) with me when I move. An interesting point came up that I had never thought of.

Lots of people have said that it is expected that any cupboard attached to the wall should be left in the house. I have 7 in various rooms, most are antique . The bathroom cabinet was really expensive and I thought I could just take that as long as I indicated I was going to do so on the fixtures form.

Now I am not so sure! The vanity unit I was always aware was a fixture and fitting. I was going to ask the buyer if she would mind me replacing it. If she does mind I obviously would leave it. But am I actually meant to leave the cabinet too? Thanks.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:58:33

The only thing you have to leave by law is lightbulbs in a simple plastic fitting. Everything else is negotiable. It's probably wise to tell viewers though that fixtures are not included or when they offer it will be based on what they think is included

Alorsmum Tue 01-Nov-16 18:36:21

You are not obliged to leave anything but must make good anything that was fitted to the wall (fill in holes) and most importantly make it clear on the fittings and fixtures form sent via your solicitors that you are taking it.
If it was missed off the original form ask your solicitors to clarify.

eternalopt Tue 01-Nov-16 19:43:01

Check what the estate agents particulars say as well. If it's listed in there, it will be expected to be included

PlumsGalore Tue 01-Nov-16 19:46:49

I would take my bathroom cabinet without a doubt, DS made it for his GCSE, it is beautiful, solid oak, took him weeks and the materials were expensive, not even considering its sentimental value.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 01-Nov-16 20:04:14

Eternal even if they are written in the particulars, it must be on the vendors fixtures and fittings form to be included.

prh47bridge Tue 01-Nov-16 21:29:02

To quote Samantha Blackburn, head of property law at Slater & Gordon, "A useful analogy is to imagine that you pick up a house and turn it upside down. All the items that fall out can be taken – these are fittings – whereas everything else should stay put, unless agreed otherwise, as they are fixtures."

Normally there will be an inventory stating what is staying and what is being removed. If there is no inventory it is generally assumed that fixtures will be left.

hooliodancer Tue 01-Nov-16 22:35:26

Thanks, very helpful.

But my antique wall cupboards wouldn't fall our , but to me they are furniture. So I get the analogy, but don't get it too!

prh47bridge Tue 01-Nov-16 23:32:41

They are fixtures. The default assumption is that they stay. However, if you state on the inventory that they are being removed you will be able to take them with you.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 02-Nov-16 18:32:47

Make it clear on the Sellers Information form that they will be removed and are not included.

eternalopt Thu 03-Nov-16 06:19:56

I know that averagebear - I was talking about expectations. A good estate agent will make you check the particulars very carefully for this reason to avoid rows and problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now