Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

10 year old wants to reduce time at dad's

(3 Posts)
MsColouring Thu 20-Oct-16 08:44:52

Ex and I have a court order with contact every other weekend and half the holidays. In the summer holidays, the children usually have a two week block at their dad's. After last summer holidays, my dd who is 10 said she really missed me and would prefer only a week at her dad's. Where do I stand on this legally? She will 11 by next summer which is close to the age recognised by the courts for a child's wishes to be considered. I have a ds who is 7 also.

Fourormore Thu 20-Oct-16 10:26:03

The best place to start would be mediation. Would she be happier with two blocks of one week?

MrsBertBibby Thu 20-Oct-16 17:54:18

There is no such age, every child's wishes are considered.

The older a child gets, the more weight will be given to those wishes, but 11 year olds aren't generally allowed to call the shots. I suspect that a judge faced with this situation might be inclined to say "tough" to her, after all, a year is a long time in her life, and a judge might expect that with time, and gentle encouragement, she'll come round by next summer.

If her dad will agree a change in mediation, well and good, but I'm not sure I'd advise you to take it back to ciurt (which you must do if there's no agreement.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now