Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How big does the company need to be....

(6 Posts)
Memoires Sun 02-Oct-16 19:12:16

.....before it has to have an accident book, a grievance procedure and those sort of things?

ChuckBiscuits Sun 02-Oct-16 19:18:57

10 employees for an accident book.
Grievance procedure, usually if there is not one the ACAS guidelines can be substituted.

What is the issue?

Memoires Sun 02-Oct-16 22:35:17

Oh no issue! I banged my head at work on Friday - there are only 3 of us and we're pretty well all friends anyway - and they all were very sympathetic and solicitous. I have no argument with them at all. However, I have a scab on my head where I hit it, and I was just chatting about it with my brother, and remembered that if it had happened in any of the other places I have worked in there would be a big hoo-haa and an accident book would be filled in. So brother and I were reminiscing, and wondering.

I don't have concussion, my head doesn't hurt, I didn't get drowsy or sick, so it's all fine. grin

Thanks for the info. We are enlarging the company but it seems like it'll be a while before we have to worry about correct procedures and follow the rules, rather than just act like sympathetic people!

Balletgirlmum Sun 02-Oct-16 22:42:59

All companies need to record accidents whether that is in an accident book or otherwise. A company only has to have a written health & safety policy if it has 5 employees or more but having less does not mean it is absolved from any responsibilities.

Grievance procedures as far as I am aware are good practice rather than law as long as employment laws are followed with regards to discipline & dismssal.

Balletgirlmum Sun 02-Oct-16 22:44:06

www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg449.pdf

ChuckBiscuits Sun 02-Oct-16 23:07:34

There was 2 of us and we still had an accident book. Just go buy one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now