Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Contact and section 7 report

(12 Posts)
catarratto Tue 27-Sep-16 09:12:17

At the moment I am waiting for Cafcass to do a section 7 report as child's father wants contact after 4 years. There is a history of dv against me and another partner plus dv incidents when my child had previous contact. He said he had depression in court and was ordered to submit gp report. I have been informed the report says he has psychosis. I have contested contact due to dv and lack of commitment but this coming to light has enhanced my fears. He has no insight into his behaviour and minimises it, compulsively lies and this mixed with psychosis in my view puts my daughter at risk. I originally suggested indirect contact via letters if he addresses his issues but now knowing this I think any contact could be severely detrimental to my child's well being. In my opinion he is unsafe. Not just because of the psychosis, but because he lied about it, he is violent and he will not acknowledge his behaviour which can be erratic at times. My solicitor has asked for more info and has written to the court and him saying this. I cannot afford a psychological assessment. Does anyone have experience of this and how Cafcass and the courts may view this situation?
Thank you

MrsBertBibby Tue 27-Sep-16 11:25:15

It's very hard to give helpful advice without you sharing a lot more information, which you absolutely cannot do on here.

I'm sure your solicitor will do his or her best for you. The cost of such a report could be left to him to pay, or shared.

OliandMimisMama Tue 27-Sep-16 13:13:48

Cafcass will interview you and your children. They will decide looking at all the information provided by you and the police, if there are any CAD numbers these will be investigated. They will then advise the court and a judge will then decide. I hope that this is of some help to you!

JMKid Tue 27-Sep-16 21:27:57

Be prepared to fight your corner with Cafcass. In my own experience and others I know they are all very one sided and arnt in fact putting the child first.

Fourormore Wed 28-Sep-16 08:59:20

They are not all very one sided. In my experience they have been absolutely child focused.

JMKid Wed 28-Sep-16 11:12:28

Well I said from my experience and others I know. I'm sure others have had good a experience.

catarratto Tue 04-Oct-16 20:26:43

I'm still waiting to hear from Cafcass but have seen other things that cause me great concern. I anticipate no closure soon.

GreenAndWinter Tue 04-Oct-16 23:47:06

I am wishing you much luck. I'm not a solicitor, or a barrister, or anything like that, but I do think we have a pretty good justice system. If you have serious concerns, these should be listened to in court.

Do you have anyone to help you?

Have you read the court Practice Directions 12J (google will help you here, sorry can't link). Also Sturge and Glaiser (back around the year 2000, but really important in terms of how domestic violence can affect children and contact arrangements.

Those things are not an easy read, but well worth ploughing through, with a (legally trained) friend if necessary.

MummyT12 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:33:07

This sounds very similar to my case last year but my ex has always been in our sons life.
They interviewed him about his previous conviction which I was not aware of and wrote how he tried to make out they weren't as serious as they looked. They wrote that he had learnt nothing from the dv programme he attended and how he puts his aggression and need for revenge before his son. Caffcass worked him out straight away but they did express they felt he wouldn't harm our son. I felt there is emotional abuse but I guess that's hard to evidence when our son is only 3.
I found them to be very fair so I would just say to be open and honest and express your concerns. Think about how you expect contact to progress as well cos they were keen on that.
Hope this helps x

catarratto Sat 08-Oct-16 13:32:26

I read his police disclosure at my solicitors yesterday and tbh I do not want to see contact to restart never mind progress. I have no idea what to say to my child who is now asking questions for fear of Cafcass saying I am putting my influence on the section 7 although it is written in black and white.

catarratto Sat 08-Oct-16 13:34:16

Thank you all for your comments btw and I hope we can continue the conversation smile

catarratto Sun 09-Oct-16 19:27:36

I would also eventually has his PR removed. Does anyone have experience of this or should I post it elsewhere?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now