Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Self petitioning divorce. Court appearance.

(6 Posts)
reddotmum Fri 16-Sep-16 11:52:08

I have self petitioned for divorce. It is uncontested and I have a letter saying it is listed to be heard in county court and the date and time. I understand I have to be there but my STBX doesn't he's a nervous basket case so that's a good thing. However I'm unsure what happens during this appearance can anyone tell me pls.

AnneLovesGilbert Fri 16-Sep-16 11:55:41

Why do you have to be there? Are you discussing financial arrangements or is the court date just to rubber stamp the nisi before the absolute is issued?

I did my divorce myself and neither of us went to court. It's just an admin exercise.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your question, but in the UK, if it's just the divorce and nothing to do with children or money, no one has to appear.

reddotmum Fri 16-Sep-16 12:00:08

I'm in Northern Ireland Anne and it's my understanding as the Petitioner I have to be there.

WatchingFromTheWings Fri 16-Sep-16 12:01:55

I did my divorce paperwork myself too, didn't have to go to court. Mine was uncontested so don't know if that makes a difference. We had property and kids involved but I filled in the relevant firms to show we were dealing with it ourselves.

WatchingFromTheWings Fri 16-Sep-16 12:03:00

Give the courts a call and have a word. I found them very helpful.

reddotmum Fri 16-Sep-16 12:26:05

Thank you watching. I will call them
And ask them. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now