Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Leasehold property states no pets, what would happen if I move in with my dogs?

(10 Posts)
GinBunny Fri 09-Sep-16 22:27:35

I found out today that following the breakdown of my marriage I am unable to afford to keep on my house. We have a rental property that I could just about afford on my own, but it is a leasehold flat and no pets are allowed. I have 2 dogs. The property is ground floor with a small garden and is in a block of 4, not a big block.
I know it is against the terms of the lease to move them in with me but I am wondering from a legal perspective what they can actually do about it? Can they take me to court to make me get rid of them? Fine me?

Collaborate Sat 10-Sep-16 08:20:09

AFAIK they could forfeit the lease. That would take a long time, and there would be court proceedings, and only the most stupid of people would allow it to go so far as forfeiture, but you'd be saddled with enormous legal fees in the end, and still have to get rid of the dogs.

Plus your neighbours would all hate you.

So, they can't make you get rid of the dogs, but they can ultimately get rid of you.

Glastokitty Sat 10-Sep-16 08:27:36

They can evict you and probably blacklist you. Not a good idea.

GinBunny Sun 11-Sep-16 21:47:11

Ok, thank you. I have written to them asking if they will amend the clause given the circumstances but a few people have said "Just move in, what are they going to do about it?" so thought I should try and find out.

Dogcatred Sun 11-Sep-16 21:48:50

Best to do it lawfully otherwise they can evict you. I would never let to anyone with a dog I'm afraid. It's a huge issue for many property owners actually, not just a minor thing.

GeneralBobbit Sun 11-Sep-16 21:48:53

I'd move in and move out again if it became an actual problem.

BouleBaker Sun 11-Sep-16 21:50:33

We've been in a situation where we started proceedings against a leaseholder to forfeit the lease. It takes a while but it would also cost them money and make them all supremely pissed off with you. In theory you could move in while you find somewhere else and then move out before they took action but it would mean your fellow leaseholders disliked you intensely.

GinBunny Sun 11-Sep-16 21:55:07

Just to clarify, it's a property that I own. Well, when I say own, I have a mortgage on it. It is currently rented out and I will have to evict the tenant and move in myself. So, moving out later isn't an option, the long term security of the roof over my head is more important. Sadly.
Thank you for confirming what I suspected thanks

Dogcatred Sun 11-Sep-16 21:58:02

I see. My son was buying one like that - the lease said no pets without consent. Lots of people did have pets and we assumed it would be fairly easy to obtain consent. The lease might say you can seek consent from the residents association - his lease did so worth checking. I assumed you meant you were going to be a tenant.

kirinm Sun 11-Sep-16 22:08:06

Ask the freeholder for consent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now