Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorce costs

(9 Posts)
messeduptotally Thu 08-Sep-16 12:49:59

Hi
I divorced my exh this year in a straightforward divorce, the box was ticked that he should pay half the divorce costs and he agreed (ticked box) the absolute has been received by me but he hasn't paid half the costs, what happens for him to pay this?
Ive asked him but he said he didn't want the divorce so I should pay it all!
WWYD?

Collaborate Thu 08-Sep-16 13:30:09

Write to the court and ask them to summarily assess costs at half the court fee. I'm assuming you self-represented.

They may ask you to pay a fee, but that's how I'd try it initially.

MrsBertBibby Thu 08-Sep-16 14:12:28

Did you get a costs order from the court?

messeduptotally Thu 08-Sep-16 14:58:14

I instructed a solicitor but he didn't.
It says in the paperwork - 'upon making the Decree Nisi ordered that the respondent pay the costs incurred on behalf of the Petitioner in this cause'. - is this the court order?

What do I do?

MrsBertBibby Thu 08-Sep-16 18:14:35

Yes, that's the order.

Your solicitor needs to tell you what to do! They need first to write to him telling him hat he has to pay, and what the consequences will be if he doesn't agree the figure and startvpaying.

MrsBertBibby Thu 08-Sep-16 18:15:37

Forgot to say, that's an order for 100% costs, so if you are only after half he should bite their hand off.

messeduptotally Fri 09-Sep-16 15:30:12

I emailed my solicitor - she said she explained to me about the itemized bill to be sent to my exh and said I didn't instruct her, I knew nothing about it!
She said she will send a letter to my exh with a statement to recover costs but it will cost me £250.00 - the divorce cost £1300 I cant recover the £250, so I would get a max of £400?
Is it worth me causing all disruption for £400 or should I draw a line under it all?

traviata Fri 09-Sep-16 15:37:28

will you be going on to financial proceedings next, ie sharing the matrimonial assets?

if so, you could send a letter pointing out that you have the benefit of the costs order in the divorce but that you suggest it is carried over to the end of the financial proceedings. That way you don't lose it, but you are being all reasonable.

messeduptotally Fri 09-Sep-16 16:19:01

No there were no other financials we split assets 50/50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now