Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can we do probate ourselves if there is a trust?

(2 Posts)
Lambzig Mon 01-Aug-16 13:02:52

I am hoping for some advice as to whether we need to use a solicitor to carry out probate or if my sister and I can do it ourselves as executors.

My father died at the weekend. Reading his will this morning has been a bit surprising. Him and my D stepmother owned half the house each. His half is left to me and my siblings with my stepmother staying there unless she remarries or cohabits. Also his capital is left to us with her having the interest under the same circumstances. My sister and I are executors and trustees.

Does this make it too hard for us to do probate ourselves or can we still wade through it? We don't have legal training, but are both used to documents and I have helped a friend do a very straightforward probate before now.

Kwirrell Mon 01-Aug-16 13:21:33

I found the probate office really helpful, so I don't see why you could not do it yourself. I suggest you call them for guidance before you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now