Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Family Court Advice needed please

(4 Posts)
mrsdarcey78 Fri 29-Jul-16 19:10:12

Hi ex not seen the kids for two years, had a contact order with court papers appear here out of the blue on saturday. he was emotionally and financially abusive to the kids, and emotionally financially and physically abusive to me. I have applied for legal aid. the kids are 18 14 and 9. They do not want to see him. i did not get offered mediation. I have this week offered him mediation to which he has not responded. have a letter from my counsellor and GP about the domestic abuse. any tips on what to do and what will happen with cafcass? and the court?. thanks for any help. if they say they dont want to see him what will happen? they are all older children now, will they be forced to go?

MrsBertBibby Fri 29-Jul-16 19:53:44

The 18 year old shouldn't be included, child arrangements orders can't generally be made affecting children after their 16th birthday.

The 14 year old's views are likely to be given very great weight, unless they are obviously illogical or parrotting yours.

MrsBertBibby Fri 29-Jul-16 19:55:51

The 9 year old's views are of less weight, although certainly not disregarded, esp in the light of a 2 year absence.

MrsBertBibby Fri 29-Jul-16 19:57:45

CAFCASS should be in touch to get background info, was there any police/ social services involvement? CAFCASS should gather all that info before the first hearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now