Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Family feud concerning finances of dementia patient/possible fraud

(2 Posts)
spydie Wed 27-Jul-16 23:08:01

My grandmother has dementia and was recently placed in a care home. My mother and Aunt have been progressively falling out over the past couple of years over her care. There has been a lot of tales told, particularly by my aunt, and whilst my mother has not been as involved with the day to day 'affairs' as she works full time (my aunt does not) it also meant that it was agreed my aunt would have access to my grandmothers finances. There is no power of attorney as my grandmother was not mentally capable of passing the assessment to grant it.

The decision on the care home was made without my mothers involvement and by all accounts its awful (I live 100miles away and havent visited yet). It is funded by the LA. My grandmother did not own her own home, but had amassed decent savings which i now know were over the threshhold of £23k ish. It has come to light that my aunt had been drawing money out of her accounts daily, as well as moving money between accounts (we have no idea where to) and other IMO unscrupulous acts to spend the money. We are now aware that, following the death of my grandmothers brother, she is set to inherit a pretty decent sum of money, which was to pay for her care in later life. The executor of the will has informed me that my aunt lied to the solicitor and him, saying she had power of attorney for my GM (who was the other executor), as well as impersonating my GM over the phone to the solicitor, and signing various paperwork. She had redirected all of her mail so no one knew this was going on. She had not told my mother about this sum of money going to my GM, and we have only very recently found out. She is also telling family members that the grandchildren (including me) will inherit some money from his estate. I've clarified with the executor that the only beneficiaries are my GM and her nephew, therefore any money will be my aunt dishing it out from what is not even hers.

The solicitor now knows she lied about the power of attorney, as she has him applying for deputyship on my GM's financial affairs. However doesnt seem in anyway bothered, presumeably as he's getting his fee. My mother is going to apply as joint through the same solicitor, however apparently my Aunt has informed other family members that she will block this. Of course, my aunt is paying for all of this from my GMs finances, and my mother doesnt have bucket loads of money lying around, but has no choice but to try and obtain joint deputyship.

The executor of my great uncles will is spitting, and has informed me of other less than glowing reports of what my aunt has been up to. However, everything is hearsay; she has told people of what she is doing but there is no hard evidence. We are massively concerned my aunt stands to gain a lot of money that wont be used for my GMs care. We desperately want to move her to a nicer home.

Ive told my mother to obtain independant legal advice. I also think she needs to inform social services of the inheritance my GM is about to receive, and can we therefore use that to find her a better home. But ultimately, my aunt has committed fraud!

Does anyone have experience of these kind of messy situations?

whataboutbob Fri 29-Jul-16 17:33:22

You have my sympathies, dementia can drive a wedge between family members like few other things. My Dad has dementia and i have POA. From what you say it does sound like your aunt is being underhand and potentially is financially abusing your DG. I would advise contacting the Office of the Public Guardian for advice (they administer POAs and also other aspects of managing the affairs persons who do not have capacity such as deputyship). Ultimately the police may need to get involved.
Also, the Alzheimers society's talking point is a very useful resources, you can post questions and i have seen this kind of situation discussed there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now