Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Small claims court process

(2 Posts)
Masketti Tue 19-Jul-16 22:40:49

A driveway contractor has hugely cocked up my driveway and patio. I've had a couple of other contractors round who are on certain recommended installers lists and they've told me it'll cost c£7k to fix and I've got £2k outstanding to pay him.

I don't want the original contractor to do the work partly because I don't think he's capable or presumably he would have done it right in the first place and partly because he's admitted to lying to me about a major element of the work and I've caught him out lying about another element. He's malicious enough that he'd rip up the work, nick off with the slabs and leave me in the shit.

I've written to him with evidence asking for my £5k. He's written back asking for an independent report and counter claiming for the £2k outstanding. The deadline I gave for the refund hasn't passed yet but when it does can you let me know what my next steps would be for the small claims court please? Obviously I've looked on the government website but it would help knowing if I need a report or if the photos and videos I've taken will be sufficient? I don't mean to drip feed so if you need to know any exact details I'm happy to supply them. I just don't want to waste your time with unnecessary back story!

AShadowLurkingInTheShadows Wed 20-Jul-16 11:17:00

You'll have to go onto the website below and fill in the form to issue court proceedings. They then have 2 weeks to defend the case. If they do it'll go to court. If not then you can ask them to make a judgement

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now