Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Possible Wrongful Distribution of Estate

(6 Posts)
TransformersRobotsInDaSky Mon 18-Jul-16 19:55:58

DGM (DM's Mum) died about 3 years ago. DM wasn't and still isn't on speaking terms with her siblings (one brother, one sister). My cousin (DM's sister's daughter) is the executor of the estate.

About 18 months ago the estate was settled and money distributed evenly (as far as we know). DM got a cheque and we thought that was that. Last week DM got a text message from my cousin saying some additional shares have been discovered and she was sending a cheque over. The cheque arrived today for exactly £10K. DM was pleased with the unexpected windfall, however, DF spoke to me separately to say he is suspicious that something is afoot. He questions the fact that any sale of shares split 3 ways would surely result in a non-round number being produced. He is concerned that the family are somehow conning DM of her rightful share of the additional money that has been found. He hasn't mentioned anything to DM yet as she has a tendency to fly off the handle and may cause more trouble for herself and the family by saying/doing the wrong thing in anger.

Could anyone advise on what, if anything, they can do to investigate the matter and whether it is worth seeking professional legal advice on a the matter?

Collaborate Mon 18-Jul-16 21:59:48

Ask for revised estate accounts for starters.

TransformersRobotsInDaSky Mon 18-Jul-16 22:49:16

Thanks Collaborate, would it be the executor who would provide these?

Collaborate Mon 18-Jul-16 23:32:30

They have a legal obligation to prepare them when the estate has been administered, so yes.

TransformersRobotsInDaSky Tue 19-Jul-16 12:18:14

Thank you so much.

gingeroots Sat 23-Jul-16 08:35:21

If you've not already got a copy of the will get one from
www.gov.uk/search-will-probate for about £10 .

It seems so odd to me that executors lack scrutiny ,so easy for them to get probate and not declare assets .But goodness knows how the process could be policed .

Hope you get it sorted ,it could be that the £10k wasrounded up from a slightly lesser sum ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now