Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Finding case/sentencing details

(17 Posts)
Rememberallball Mon 18-Jul-16 08:22:13

Hi,

I am looking for some details of a case and sentencing. We know the defendant pleaded guilty and the dates of both court appearance and sentencing but can't find any further details. I understand these details are a matter of public record so I wonder if any knowledgeable bods on here can enlighten me to where I can find the trial/sentencing infornation.

TIA

Viviene Mon 18-Jul-16 08:27:13

Have you tried www.judiciary.gov.uk ?

Rememberallball Mon 18-Jul-16 12:19:55

Thanks will give it a try.

FinallyReportedHim2 Mon 18-Jul-16 18:10:04

or try
www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/court-case-search.php?mode=1

BeckyMcDonald Mon 18-Jul-16 23:18:35

There are only a minimal number of results published by the law pages. If you can find what you're looking for you can ring the court, ask for listings, tell them the name of the defendant and the date of the hearing and they can tell you the outcome of the case. They might be hesitant to tell you but asylum say, it's a matter of public record.

BeckyMcDonald Mon 18-Jul-16 23:22:53

as you say

Rememberallball Tue 19-Jul-16 07:20:21

Thank you Becky. As I was getting nowhere with the links above I discussed with DH the possibility of calling the court today. I did the same once before (when I was on jury service we wanted to know the eventual outcome of the cases we were allocated) and found the court staff helpful. We know the dates of both trial and sentencing as well as defendants name and the court so, armed with those, I'm going to look up the case number then give them a ring today.

Rememberallball Wed 20-Jul-16 07:01:31

Well. Ringing the court itself worked. After being asked my reason for the enquiry, details of the defendant and case number, the young lady came back with information of the length of sentence imposed. It isn't good news and doesn't fit with what we were previously told so, now, my next step is to find the details of the conviction - and I reckon that will mean calling the court again!!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 20-Jul-16 07:09:33

Did they explain the kind of sentence given? As although you may feel it's a short sentence, many types of sentence do not mean automatic release at the end of their tariff. I for example work with someone who is currently 5 years post tariff and there is no possibility of release any time soon as he has been risk assessed as high risk to the public. (I work in the MOJ)

Rememberallball Wed 20-Jul-16 17:32:36

All she said was total 21 months imprisonment. Nothing else.

Rememberallball Wed 20-Jul-16 18:34:46

Sorry, Whatthe, I should have put more on my last reply.

The sentence isn't more lenient than expected, it's harsher - the defendant who is a friend of DH, was advised by their barrister (who they met for the first time in the day of the trial and who said he was only given the case file that morning) to plead guilty at the earliest opportunity as it would be viewed more positively when it came to sentencing; and that he was likely to get a suspended sentence.

DH friend hasn't told us the charge/conviction - though he has been in touch today with a couple of requests for DH and some details of where he is currently being held.

Hope that all makes sense though I've left out any more details to not make it too identifiable.

AyeAmarok Wed 20-Jul-16 18:39:22

Ah, you think he's been dishonest about the crime he told you he committed. sad

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 20-Jul-16 19:39:47

Ahhhhh sorry I presumed you meant through other way round!

It could well be that 21 months is the lenient sentence,but without knowing his conviction it's very difficult to say I'm afraid.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 20-Jul-16 19:40:30

I may be able to hazard a guess if I know which establishment he is being held in?! feel free to PM me if you need to

BeckyMcDonald Wed 20-Jul-16 20:35:41

The court will tell you the exact charge if you ask them. They won't tell you any more details other wpthan what is on the court list though.

I'd suggest he's minimised he offence to your husband. Many defendants do. It's not at all unusual for the family of the defendants to hear details of the charge for the first time in court. You can see the horror in their eyes. sad

Rememberallball Thu 21-Jul-16 06:07:30

Whatthe, thank you. I've sent a pm with, hopefully enough details but, if more is helpful, let me know.

Thanks Becky, I didn't want to keep hassling the court staff and, hopefully now DH has heard from his friend, we may get some more honest answers!!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 21-Jul-16 06:57:28

I've responded to your message OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now