Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any European lawyers about?

(8 Posts)
takingsooty Sun 17-Jul-16 20:06:38

DS is about to start in his 3rd year at Uni, he's doing 3 years for his LLB and the 4th year is abroad doing European law.
In light of Brexit would you still consider the 4th year?
He's adamant that he wants to & we have no intention of dissuading him but I'm not sure of the value of it.

cdtaylornats Mon 18-Jul-16 07:23:11

I think the one positive of Brexit is that there will be work for lawyers for many years.

AddToBasket Mon 18-Jul-16 07:27:39

It will continue to be useful.

The thing about law courses is that you don't really use them much. They are just an overview or introduction. Whatever job he gets will train him in all the law he needs. Right now he learning to think like a lawyer and that's the point.

Familylawsolicitor Mon 18-Jul-16 22:06:15

It will be useful. Brexit will create a ton of work for lawyers - if you are working on changing something you need to know what you are changing from
Also agree with the skills gained

takingsooty Tue 19-Jul-16 12:12:13

Thank you. I kind find a positive for Brexit now smile

HereIAm20 Tue 19-Jul-16 15:19:05

Is the 4th year an LLM or Other Masters degree? If so it won't really make a difference what type of Law it is but will give him the further qualification. Is he doing the LPC after that and does he has a training contract lined up? Doing a law degree does not make someone a lawyer.

takingsooty Tue 19-Jul-16 15:21:53

It's a Maitrise en Droit

babybarrister Wed 20-Jul-16 08:29:27

I would agree with the above and thoroughly endorse going overseas for a year - not least to learn French legal terminology. As one of very few barristers fluent in a European language, it has been the making of my career and I do not do very much "EU" law.
I would say that if he has the chance he might possibly want to ditch a "pure" EU law option in favour of a French law option ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now