Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Distance selling regulations? :(

(9 Posts)
Potentialpoochowner Tue 12-Jul-16 16:35:46

I feel completely dick and am hoping someone can advise.

Bought an expensive camera from Amazon. The order isn't fulfilled by Amazon but by a 'marketplace seller.'

Just taken delivery of camera and it looks like a dodgy import. No guarantee or warranty in box, has a travel plug, instruction book looks like a photocopy (and not something I'd expect from Nikon). Basically just looks 'off'.

The price wasn't a bargain - it's comparable to high street sellers. The reviews for the seller are good but now I'm wondering if they're genuine.

Can anyone tell me what my return rights are? Can't work it out from the Amazon website but that might be because I feel too sick to think clearly.

Tia sad

Potentialpoochowner Tue 12-Jul-16 16:36:28

I feel completely sick not dick!

FemaleDilbert Tue 12-Jul-16 16:38:10

Check here www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161010#GUID-843F97EB-B10B-43BF-9378-2E04C3C2A653__SECTION_450A919D24A74B199508CAE40597B406

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Tue 12-Jul-16 16:42:17

Google distance selling regulations, or look on money saving expert website, it is either 7 or 14 days to return, I can't remember which.

Then email company and clearly state you are returning under this regulation.

I've done it several times and often they are reluctant but give in when I am firm. Funnily enough Mothercare was the most resistant!

Not sure if postage is covered.

cdtaylornats Tue 12-Jul-16 22:46:45

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3149431

These are the rules an Amazon marketplace seller has to follow and if they don't tell Amazon and they'll do it for them.

LurkingHusband Wed 13-Jul-16 10:32:15

IANAL, but DSR doesn't apply here. It's the old Sale of Goods Act plain and simple. Goods are not as described. Return postage is the responsibility of the seller.

cdtaylornats Wed 13-Jul-16 11:24:18

Amazon rules are 30 days and that's what applies here

LurkingHusband Wed 13-Jul-16 11:54:04

Amazon rules are 30 days and that's what applies here

No, the law applies. Then what Amazon says.

cdtaylornats Wed 13-Jul-16 14:07:34

No because Amazon is better than the law. Amazon marketplace suppliers sign up to a contract saying they will stick to the 30 day rule. If the supplier tries to stick to the legal limit of 14 days Amazon will refund you and withhold the money from them. So in this case because Amazons contract is better than the law Amazons contract stands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now