Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Property not lived in as matrimonial home...

(8 Posts)
orangebird69 Sun 10-Jul-16 18:18:44

Any legal bods out there that can advise? My dh owns a house - he bought the house long before we met, we've never lived in it together. We are married (4 years), 1 ds (9mo). Do I have any rights over the house ie is there some kind of interest I can register against the house as his wife so that it can't be sold without my agreement? TIA

Collaborate Sun 10-Jul-16 18:48:12

None. You'd have to issue device proceedings and then apply for a transfer of property order. You could register that claim at the Land Registry.

orangebird69 Sun 10-Jul-16 19:12:14

I don't want the house or anything relating to it. Just a bit of leverage... damn. Thanks for replying though, muxh appreciated.

babybarrister Sun 17-Jul-16 19:39:57

your leverage is that if there were a divorce all assets enter the pot!

Bobochic Sun 17-Jul-16 19:43:10

Why would you want to gain control over the assets your DH had accumulated before you married? They are nothing to do with you.

babybarrister Sun 17-Jul-16 19:44:18

Because that is the law .... have a read of section 25 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973!

orangebird69 Sun 17-Jul-16 20:12:16

Bobo because he's a financial fuckwit and what he does with the sale proceeds DOES have something to do with mine and my ds's lives.

orangebird69 Sun 17-Jul-16 20:12:57

Thanks baby. Hoping it won't come to that but it's good to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now