Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I Cancel this order?

(4 Posts)
lionsleepstonight Thu 07-Jul-16 10:13:24

Hi,
I signed up for new soffits and facisas from a company who had sent a leaflet through my door. I signed an order form on the same day as the sales man came round to my house, but was told I would be re contacted for the surveyor who would take the specific measurements. I then went on holiday abroad for a week. I came back did some internet research and decided this company was a bit dodgy, so decided to cancel. I did this via phone and letter. I signed the original order form on the 9th June and tried to cancel on 4th July. The owner says I cannot cancel (or I can if I pay 25% of the order value). I feel, as I have not had the site survey, therefore no materials can have been ordered, I should be able to cancel? Does anyone know where I stand legally? The owner says I am legally bound by the contract and only had 7 days to cancel.
Can I just not allow the site survey and not agree an installation date? The owner has said he will write to me and hinted at legal proceedings.

Collaborate Thu 07-Jul-16 14:06:11

These are the regulations: www.gov.uk/doorstep-selling-regulations

It's 14 days, but they must have sent you this information after you placed the order:

You must get in touch with your customer in writing after an order is placed and before the goods or services have been delivered.

You must tell them:

details of what they have purchased
the total cost
arrangements for delivery
the minimum duration of any contract and arrangements for terminating the contract
how and when they can cancel an order and who pays for returning goods
an address where complaints can be sent
any guarantees or after-sales services you offer
conditions for terminating contracts
any helpline call charges that are more than calling an 01, 02 or 03 number, or a mobile or free number

If they didn't inform you of your right to cancel then they have committed an offence, so report them to trading standards.

lionsleepstonight Fri 08-Jul-16 16:48:21

Thank you for your very helpful response. When searching online I can see conflicting statements regarding the number of days notice, under the door step selling regulations it says 14 days, but there is another thing, and I cannot find what it is called where it mentions 7 days for sales from the home? If it is 14 days that would be great as it would mean the contract is null and void as it states I have 7 days.

perfecteyebrow Fri 08-Jul-16 16:53:42

I would phone up citizens advice , they should also give you up to date info and also help with wording if you need to write a letter etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now