Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Consumer Rights

(5 Posts)
WhoremoaneeGrainger Tue 05-Jul-16 12:50:56

Bought DD a whizzbang Acer laptop for Xmas 2014. Bought on 5th November. didnt take out extended warranty at the time, as you could do it up to 12 months after. Forgot. Now laptop wont even turn on!

Checked Acer website and it says 24 months cover on consumer products. Called them yesterday and they say Laptop only has 12 month and the 24 months is only for recalls on a manufacturing fault. Guy was completely uninterested in explaining what this meant, as surely if there is a manufacturing issue it could be recalled at any stage and not just up to 24 months after purchase. The man just kept on about how it costs £40 to send it back to them for them to assess the issue, and they will tell me what the issue is and how much to repair it.

The issue is it literally just died, wont come on at all. Dd is 14 and says she hasnt dropped or bashed it, and we believe her. She is very careful with it, as she knows we are not in a position to replace it. Do we have any recourse with Acer? Any advice gratefully received.

prh47bridge Tue 05-Jul-16 13:46:38

Your rights are against the retailer who sold you the laptop. As the laptop is faulty they must offer you a free repair or replacement - note that they can decide which to offer. If they argue that the problem is due to misuse you may need to get a engineer's report to prove that this is a manufacturing fault and not due to anything your daughter has done.

cdtaylornats Tue 05-Jul-16 22:03:17

It might be worth checking the power lead. It might be that the battery has failed or the lead is damaged and not powering the laptop.

IceMaiden73 Wed 06-Jul-16 17:56:48

I think 18 months on you will need to pay for the repair

Have you tried a different power cable that you know definitely works?

prh47bridge Wed 06-Jul-16 19:43:23

I think 18 months on you will need to pay for the repair

Not if the problem is shown to be a manufacturing fault. In general you would expect a laptop to last longer than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now